Repeat This: “Obama Cut the Deficit by $300 Billion.”

I know it’s a risk to bring up the deficit when it’s still above one trillion, but considering how Romney has been repeatedly accusing the president of “doubling the deficit,” when in fact the CBO report from Friday proves that Obama cut the deficit by hundreds of billions of dollars, this is something that’s worthy of bragging. And next year’s projections indicate a $900 billion deficit, giving the president a four year total of $500 billion in deficit reduction.

This is with zero help from the Republicans whose nominee intends to add $5 trillion to the deficit with another massively irresponsible tax cut. It’s also worth noting that President Bush, in his first term, added $400 billion to the deficit while also eliminating a $200 billion surplus leaving a grand total of $600 billion in fiscal irresponsibility.

In modern history, I can name two Democratic presidents who have cut the deficit. Clinton and Obama. Can anyone name just one Republican president who did the same? Not Bush 43, not Bush 41, not Reagan, not Ford, not Nixon.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • ArrogantDemon

    Jack Welsh will come by to dispute these numbers & accuse the Obama Administration of cooking the books……right…about……..now

    Nobody gives a shit, Bob. The whole discussion now is how bad Obama’s performance in the first debate was. That’s how the American people decide elections–on how badly one candidate kicks the shit out of the other; they decide who they like on who can come up with the most clever and smarmy remark towards the other guy.

    If Romney gets elected–and I now fear that is totally possible–the deficit will never be heard of again–unless one of the few democrats left in the house or senate brings it up. we will be right back to “the deficit doesn’t matter in a bad economy” policy that has been the hallmark of trickle down economics since Reagan was president.

    • http://twitter.com/genialityofevil Maximilian

      Well it used to be based on who said 9/11 in the scariest voice so we’ve come a long way.

      • missliberties

        We should not buy into the media selling us this story line of the mad Romney comeback.

        We need to challenge the media to finally do their job. Check the facts.

        If they would, Donald Trump would never have been taken seriously ever.

          Poll numbers in Ohio now indicate a statistical dead heat. That indicates to me that Romney’s chances of winning this thing is now more possible than ever. And if he wins, trust me, so one will give a good goddamn about the deficit anymore.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Geez.

            Victor, you know me better than that. I am having a moment of paranoia. This too shall pass.

            well, damn, Michael, maybe u should take an aspirin and a nap. Your mood is starting to rub off. :(

    • missliberties

      You are wrong Michael. People do care. And most of those people are the monied people in finance, who really get what is going on.

      A few have been coming out in support of Obama, by mentioning that Romney’s ideas will slow down the US economy. There is a global slowdown, which if the US economy starts improving because of investment will create more global demand.

      • Scopedog

        Exactly. The Obama team has already stated repeatedly that this was not going to be an easy road. There will be setbacks.

        And let’s face it–Romney’s “win” came about by him lying his ass off. And those lies are being fact-checked.

        And he wants to kill PBS. That has pissed off a lot of people. I may be going out on a limb here, but Romney’s “victory” will be a Pyrrhic one.

    • Scopedog

      Really? All I’m hearing is how Romney lied his ass off, how he wants to kill Big Bird, and how Independents see Obama in a much better light than that twitching, howling humanoid we saw on Oct. 3. Oh, and positive job numbers and the eerie conspiracy theories about that.

      And Obama’s team is already using Romney’s lies against him.

      Did you think Obama’s campaign for a second term was going to be easy? Did you not realize that yes, we are going to take a few hits, maybe a body-blow or two, but we should get back up and keep moving?

      Look….fuck the MSM. The fact that they gave the “win” to the candidate who not only lied his ass off, but also looked seriously deranged and also threatened to kill the moderator’s job shows that it’s them who have some major issues.

      A setback and we’re ready to rend the garments and run away. Wow.

      • stacib23

        The fact that they gave the “win” to the candidate who not only lied his ass off, but also looked seriously deranged and also threatened to kill the moderator’s job shows that it’s them who have some major issues.

        Ann Romney told the American public that SHE would be concerned about Mitt’s mental health. I think his performance at the debate should be Exhibit 1 and enough to keep his hyper ass well away from the White House.

      Oh come on, Michael.

      Debates don’t matter that much.

      Also….Romney is going to get his ass kicked for real in a few weeks. And I use the term “for real” to differentiate between the next debate and what happened at the debate when Romney used a really reprehensible debating technique known as the Gish Gallop, or the one used when some asshole’s got nothing.

      We just need to keep going until the Pres is reelected in November. And, he damn sure WILL be getting that second term!

        Like I told Victor, Nicole, Permit me a moment of paranoia. Air Force got beat, the Broncos got beat, and I froze my ass off sitting at the AF/Navy game. It has been a bad weekend. I will be back to my old fiesty self tomorrow.

          Okay. :) Feel better.

        • Brutlyhonest

          It wasn’t all bad as Navy actually beat some one :P

    When Darth cheney said St Ronnie the Raygun “proved deficits don’t matter”, what he whispered in a thought bubble was “while a Republican is in office. “