Republicans Filibuster Everything, Romney Blames Obama for Not Working with Congress

My Monday column looks at the twisted, backwards new Romney commercial:

The Romney campaign released a shockingly Orwellian commercial over the weekend, which perpetuates something Romney himself has been saying for months now. Honestly, there’s a book-length analysis to be written here, but I’ll keep it as brief as possible given the depth and breadth of what the Republicans have been able to accomplish on this front.

The new ad blames President Obama for not reaching out and working with congressional Republicans to get things done. Yes, really. It also ballyhoos Mitt Romney’s claim that he was able to work with a Massachusetts legislature that was 85 percent Democratic.

I don’t know whether to be brutally outraged about this or to congratulate the Republicans on an outstanding execution of political obstruction and subsequent projection. For now, let’s go with brutally outraged.

It’s important to review exactly what’s led us to this point. [continued]

Continue reading here.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Daily Banter and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ned F

    I’m sure the Republicans pretty much anticipated how this would play out from the very beginning, the same way they knew that when the Bush tax cuts were given an expiration date, the Democrats could be blamed for raising taxes when that time came. I saw that coming back then, the same with filibustering every thing the Democrats wanted during this administration. If a political idiot like me could see it, I can’t believe the pros wouldn’t.
    One of my neighbors has two bumper stickers on her new Toyota, (new car, better economy!). One says”If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention”. The other says “Romney Girl”. In my universe, these two statements together should cause a split in the time-space continuum causing that car to swirl up and vanish, but that’s where we are, two different realities, existing side by side.

      “I’m sure the Republicans pretty much anticipated how this would play out from the very beginning…”

      I know, right? This is what makes me crazy about the Republicans….they can think long term politically, but they refuse to think long term for the sake of our country. They refuse to deal with a whole host of long term issues: fossil fuels running out, the debt and deficit, population growth, climate change, education, etc, etc. It’s just another reason why I don’t think they’re patriots because a patriot would do what is right and best for our long term best interests. The Republicans are strictly for short-term greed and personal aggrandizement.

    Working with a Democratic legislature is easy when it can override your vetoes at will. You either negotiate with them from a position of weakness, you oppose them ineffectively, or you just focus on other things like campaigning out of state. Guess which one of these was Mitt’s preferred strategy.

    This ad, along with previous Romney and super pac ads which blatantly lie, are the reason that the election is now so close.

    If Romney wins, it will not be because of his personal achievements or merit, it won’t be because Obama is not deserving, it will be ONLY due to the outrageous ruling known as Citizens United and the flood of fucking lying, soulless money it unleashed unto our formerly democratic process.