Skewed

The temporary bounce Mitt Romney enjoyed after the first presidential debate, and the brief period during which the polls miraculously became “unskewed,” is beginning to fade.

Today’s Gallup daily tracking poll shows that the president’s job approval rating has rebounded by 3 points and returned to the level it was at prior to the first presidential debate.

The poll also shows that the president continues to lead Mitt Romney in a head to head matchup by 5 percent.

I suspect many Americans were surprised to see Mitt Romney perform competently for a change and that it provided him with a temporary bounce in approval, but after a few days it sank in that he did so by changing nearly every position he previously held and by telling enough lies to give you whip lash.

It’s seems unlikely that either Joe Biden or President Obama will be unprepared for an equally breathtaking amount of lies during the next three debates. And the risk for Paul Ryan is that what he says during the vice presidential debate may not entirely line up with what Mitt Romney said during the first presidential debate.

At this point it seems like it would be rather difficult to keep track of exactly which positions you’re suppose to be professing.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Poll and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Victor_the_Crab

    And Chuck Todd is thinking to himself “CURSES! My attempt to pimp Mitt Romney, post debate, has fallen short. I MUST WORK HARDER TO UNDERMINE THE OBAMA CAMPAIGN THROUGH MY POSITION IN THE MEDIA!!!”

  • roxsteady

    ASHBY/ BOB, PLEASE TAKE A SECOND LOOK! This is off topic but, I posted this on Mother Jones today and I need someone to write a post or tweet about this in light of Romney’s stupid foreign policy speech today.

    If the media goes back and takes a look at that “47% video” here’s what they’ll find. There’s a point in that video where Romney talks about Jimmy Carter’s failed attempt to rescue the hostages in Iran when the 2 helikopters crashed. Romney states that if there is another disaster in the Middle East, he would take advantage of that. As soon as the attacks in Libya happened, he did just that holding that press conference and blaming the President for the murders of 4 Americans. It appears that the media has dropped the ball again. I hope that the Obama campaign is going to cue up the video of Romney’s plans in the 47% video and his subsequent press conference and smack him with them in a commercial, particularly in light of todays’ ridiculous “Foreign Policy” speech though, I’m not sure if they are aware of this part of the video. Everyone spent so much time on the “moochers” part of the video that they seemed to have missed this huge gift!

    • Brutlyhonest

      Votevets was discussing this as soon as the video was out, but pretty much every one ignored it.

      Just an FYI. Carter didn’t fail.

      Reagan’s people contacted Iran when they were on the verge of letting the hostages go, and promised they’d have a friend in the WH if they held off on releasing the hostages. It worked. The hostages were released on Jan. 20,1981.

      The Reagan payback to Iran resulted in the Iran Contra scandal.

      So, Reagan, that right wing hero, was an illegitimate president who should have been impeached.

      And Romney wants to follow in his footsteps. That is news, and we should be screaming it from the blogs.

      • Brutlyhonest

        Oh noes! You blasphemed the Saint! When they saw how easily they got away with Iran/Contra, and how much easier than that it was to rewrite the Raygun legacy, they knew they had completely cowed the “news”.

    Thank you. And will anyone who’s still freaking out please stop looking into the seeing stones? You don’t know who else might be looking back.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLpPAz0tz98

  • bphoon

    Hmm…do tell. Romney’s (and his campaign advisers) stomped on his (collective) dick enough times that one competent debate performance isn’t enough to counter balance that. Obama, on the other hand, has shown a stable, even temperment throughout the ’08 campaign, his presidency thus far and the current campaign thus far. Overall, he has been competent as has his staff (with a few exceptions). So, when you look at the other side of the coin, one sub-par debate performance isn’t enough to counter balance that.

    • roxsteady

      Good points bphoon since Obama was said to have lost ALL of his previous debates with Hillary, John Edwards, and Joe Biden yet, won the election against all 3 of them!

  • JoyP

    What is your thought on the Pew Poll?

    • JMAshby

      It was taken from Thursday to Saturday when the daily trackers also showed a reversal in the polls. It won’t hold up.

      Look at national polls again at the end of this week.

      Daily trackers released today, like the Gallup tracker, indicate anything taken immediately after the debate was temporary.

      • JoyP

        Thank you. It’s make better sense to me now. I need to NOT look at the polls. It’s too easy to get caught up in the frenzy.

      • Victor_the_Crab

        Tell that to the Chicken Littles over at kos, Ash.

    I don’t look at the polls too often because I try not to get drawn into the craziness.

    I do look at Nate Silver’s blog pretty much every day. He has Pres. Obama with a 75.6% chance of winning. And unlike the polls, Nate Silver has never been wrong.