Super Stupid

Jim DeMint on PBS funding (link goes to Tucker Carlson’s rag): “Sesame Street is a multi-million dollar enterprise and cookie monster will eat just fine without taxpayer subsidies.”

Fox News Channel’s talking Monchichi Bret Baier reported that Sesame Street is worth $400,000,000. And therefore PBS doesn’t need its 0.012% of the federal budget. I’m sure you can see why this is stupid. DeMint’s and FNC’s backwards logic: because the Children’s Television Workshop valuation is large (I haven’t verified the $400M number) then *all of PBS* should lose its funding.

There are hundreds of other programs and specials on PBS besides Sesame Street. Sheesh.

Additionally, the CTW is a non-profit and its revenue goes towards paying its expenses and people.

By the way, oil companies continue to earn record profits. In 2010, BP, Royal Dutch Shell, ConocoPhillips, Chevron and ExxonMobil received $2 billion in subsidies. But those corporations earned $137 billion in total combined profits that year. 75% higher profits than the previous year and a total of $1 trillion in profits in the previous ten years.

But DeMint filibustered the elimination of subsidies to Big Oil.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ned F

    Every few years we have to put up with this crap and feed the anti-public anything crowd. Maybe it’s just something for the media to fill the airwaves because they know it generates controversy. You know, if PBS went public and sold shares, they’d get billions in subsidies, but because they’re non profit and public, you gotta keep em in line now and then.

  • D_C_Wilson

    PBS’s problem is they can’t make campaign donations. If they did, they’d get more funding than they could ever need.

  • bphoon

    (Sigh…) Hypocrisy in endemic to the Republican Party so is rarely recognized by its members.