The Fox News School of Geography

During last night’s debate Mitt Romney claimed that Syria is Iran’s “route to the sea.”

Not only is that wrong, it isn’t even close. Not even remotely.

Iran and Syria do not even share a border.

Personally I don’t believe electing a Commander in Chief who fails at geography this badly is a good idea.

(map via Google)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/Zirgar Zirgar

    Ah, but they do share a border. WITH IRAQ! Suck on that, you liberals! Check and mate for Romney. WOO HOO!

  • http://twitter.com/AngelinaWalks Angela Walker

    NRO’s reasoning is that considering the placement of US military bases and the “fact” (?) that Iran has or is building a base in Syria, then Syria is, in effect, Iran’s route to the sea. And us stupid liberals can’t grasp that.

    Call me crazy but I have a tough time buying the idea that that is what Romney was referring to.

  • BuffaloBuckeye

    I dunno; do 2 Gulfs (Persian, Oman) = 1 Sea?

    • D_C_Wilson

      But both form Iran’s “route to the (Arabian) sea”.

  • Not Sayin

    I recorded the debate so I could watch after my kids went to bed. When Romney said that, I wondered to myself briefly if I’d lost my mind. I actually paused the debate, went and checked the kids’ map of the world in the hallway by their rooms, and confirmed I wasn’t nuts. I guess I was too dumbfounded that he said that to even consider grabbing my phone which was right next to me and looking at a map that way. I was thinking “Holy crap- I just showed the kids where Syria was not 2 weeks ago – what the hell?!?”

  • Brutlyhonest

    Building on BuffaloBuckeye’s comment, when a wingnut starts to argue about the semantics of a gulf vs a sea, tell them to proceed. Then after they think they have a winner because Syria is on the Mediterranean Sea, whack em over the head with Iran is on the Caspian Sea! Then watch the heads explode!

  • 1933john

    Iran does border the Soviet Union which has a naval base in Syria.

    • Brutlyhonest

      HAHA! Soviet Union. Hey, are you john bolton?

      • D_C_Wilson

        Must be one of Romney’s foreign policy advisers.

    • pgeorge

      A little cursory research: The Soviet Union was a country comprising modern day Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan. It was in existence from December 30, 1922 until December 26, 1991.

      Like Romney, apparently you are still living in a Cold War world when the rest of us have moved on.

    • nasani

      Wow! Is there a country that is still called the Soviet Union? I take it you are being snarky.

      • Brutlyhonest

        I assumed snark hence my attempt at adding funny with bolton.

    • bphoon

      What, we’re playing Six Degrees of Separation now?

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Obama said that Romney was “all over the map” but he didn’t mention that Romney wasn’t using a map of planet Earth.

    • Draxiar

      Kolob maybe?

      • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

        Probably.

  • bphoon

    Ah, but the big question is, can he see Syria from one of his front porches?

    • D_C_Wilson

      No, but he can see it from the top of his car elevator.

    • nasani

      Certainly not from car elevator home in LaJolla, CA. But then again may he has another house in Israel that we don’t know about.

  • muselet

    The truly depressing thing is that Mitt Romney’s been saying this for months now. He’s been called on it, he’s been fact-checked, he’s been corrected and he still keeps saying it.

    It’s almost as if Romney told John Bolton he wanted to link to two most be very afraid! scary countries in the Middle East, but The Mustache of Doom was tired and emotional (look it up) and this was the best he could manage.

    Either that or Romney quite literally can’t read a map.

    –alopecia

  • Treading_Water

    But you aren’t seeing the big picture. Syria is Iran’s route to the Mediterranean Sea. Just like Cuba is Iran’s gateway to the Gulf of Mexico and Venezuela is Iran’s gateway to the Atlantic. We must stop Iran’s quest to become the world’s greatest sea power by proxy. We must make a status of forces agreement with Switzerland, our own gateway to the EU.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Mitt Romney acts like such an Ann Coulter.