This Conspiracy Film is Brought to You by Frank Luntz

According to a new report from the New York Times, the reason some anti-Obama films and faux documentaries have seen wide success and financial backing while others haven’t is because each film was focus-tested by Republican messaging-man Frank Luntz.

They went to the unusual length of arranging a focus group to test anti-Obama films. Conducted by Frank Luntz, the well-known Republican research analyst, a 30-person focus group looked at three choices: Dinesh D’Souza’s “2016: Obama’s America,” which theorizes that the president’s political beliefs were shaped by the radical “anticolonial” views of his Kenyan father; “The Hope and the Change,” a softer critique of the president that features interviews with disaffected former Obama supporters; and “Dreams From My Real Father,” which posits the implausible theory that the president’s real father is Mr. Davis, and that Mr. Davis indoctrinated him with Marxist views early on.

Republicans have struggled in this election with two powerful and competing impulses: to hammer a president they dislike intensely with a strong indictment of his record, but to be restrained enough to win over independent voters, who generally like Mr. Obama. Those who commissioned Mr. Luntz’s research, according to people with firsthand knowledge of their motives, wanted to determine whether any of these films would do the trick and be worth backing. Mr. Luntz declined to say who commissioned his research.

The Luntz focus group reportedly “loved” Dinesh D’Souza’s film 2016, which is why that particular piece of propaganda received enough funding to see wide distribution across the country.

The focus group also favored The Hope and The Change, which was produced by Citizens United. Yes, that Citizens United.

One film the focus group did not approve of was Dreams From My Real Father, the birther-esque film that claims President Obama’s real father was a communist ideologue. And absent Luntz’s approval, Dreams From My Real Father ended up being mailed free-of-charge to voters across the country rather than being shown at local theaters.

Why didn’t the Luntz focus group enjoy Dreams From My Real Father? According to the New York Times report, it was because the film allegedly “uncovered nude photos of Mr. Obama’s mother in a bondage magazine.”

Classy.

I postulate that some of Romney’s primary financial backers, perhaps even the Koch Brothers, funded each of these films, but we may never know for sure.

In related news, Dinesh D’Souza, the creator of 2016, is now being sued by producers and investors who charge that he has withheld profits from the film.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    This hasn’t been a good week for D’Souza, hasn’t it?

    • JMAshby

      It hasn’t been bad enough.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I think the worst thought I am carrying around in my head right now is that in less than two weeks, all of this, and all of these people, will be vindicated as President-elect Romney delivers his victory speech.

    This is how elections in America will be won from now on.

    • D_C_Wilson
    • john martin

      This is how elections will be won from now on? By the Koch Brothers and Citizens’ United and fake documentaries by liars? Hope not.

      • GrafZeppelin127

        I was thinking more broadly; elections will be won from now on by creating a wholly fictional narrative about and around the opponent, and propagating it to the public as “news,” as non-fiction, as actual reality. Elections will be won from now on by simply making up and saying completely awful things about whoever you’re running against, and spending large sums of money to see to it that those awful things are heard, read, learned, internalized, and repeated by the public until they are accepted not only as true but as self-evident.

  • http://twitter.com/AngelinaWalks Angela Walker

    I don’t suppose any research has been done relating to how effective these films might be? Seems like they would appeal only to people who were solidly in the Obama hating camp or leaning strongly in that direction.

      I think you’ re right there. No one who really liked Obama and understood what he was about would buy into this BS in the first place.

  • excitablerooster

    D’ousche D’bag experiencing the whims of the karmic wheel.

  • gescove

    Miscreants all. Where did they get the idea that this was the proper way to conduct themselves in a democracy? I’m about to observe Godwin’s Law to characterize these propagandists in three, two, one…

    These fucking people need their own country where they can openly behave like the creepy fucking FASCISTS that they are!

    I am so furious I can barely fucking type!

      Although it would be very satisfying to kick D’Souza very, very hard in his nether regions, cooler heads must prevail. In order to beat the Koch Bros and their instruments (like D’Souza) we have to maintain our calm and just keep exposing their motives and manipulation to the world. I have to belief that shining the light on that kind of stuff will make a difference.

        “I have to belief that shining the light on that kind of stuff will make a difference.”

        Most days I would agree with you, IG, but I just don’t think I can today. These people will say and do anything.

        It’s nothing less than propaganda, and there are many stupid people who fall for it.