Whatever Classy is, This is the Opposite

This is just a reminder from your local family values club. A friendly neighborhood courtesy announcement. Just in case you forgot — voter fraud is a felony!

via the Columbus Dispatch

CLEVELAND — A billboard in an inner-city, predominately African-American neighborhood here, not far from Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson’s home, reads “Voter Fraud is a Felony.”

The billboard ad is sponsored by the Private Family Foundation. It says fraud is punishable by 3 1/2 years in prison, up to a $10,000 fine, and shows a judge’s gavel. […]

Leaders in the community where the billboard is placed — it’s located on E. 35th Street and Community College Blvd — say the billboard is a blatant attempt at voter intimidation. They say the community, like many inner city communities, contains a high number of ex-criminal offenders who might be intimidated by the imagery on the billboard.

And here’s the billboard in question.

Clearly if Republicans can’t disenfranchise enough minority voters with various forms of voter suppression tactics, the next best thing is scaring minorities away from voting.

Could it be a coincidence that this billboard was placed in communities that have majority African American populations? No. Absolutely not.

(photo via Stan Donaldson, The Plain Dealer)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://doran.pacifist.net/ Doran

    Time to call the Billboard Liberation Front.

  • LK3

    Humanity continues to break my heart.

  • bphoon

    Racist? Naw…couldn’t be further from the truth! They had an empty billboard…you know, rates in “those” neighborhoods are lower, so just trying to save a few bucks…

    Since when did racism and attempts at voter intimidation become “family values”?

  • gescove

    I certainly hope some taggers quickly get after that prize bit of paintable surface.

  • mrbrink

    Free at last.

    Where’s Banksy when you need him?

  • morningsky

    Democracy? Election Day in São Paulo, Brazil today. Yes on a Sunday. Everyone must vote. It is the law. Ages 16-18 may vote as well. I am no expert on Brazilian politics by a long shot and there is a lot of corruption for sure. But, I like some of the ideas.