332 Electoral Votes

Today is Saturday and Florida has finally finished counting votes cast on or before Tuesday.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — President Barack Obama was declared the winner of Florida’s 29 electoral votes Saturday, ending a four-day count with a razor-thin margin that narrowly avoided an automatic recount that would have brought back memories of 2000. […]

The Florida Secretary of State’s Office said that with almost 100 percent of the vote counted, Obama led Republican challenger Mitt Romney 50 percent to 49.1 percent, a difference of about 74,000 votes. That was over the half-percent margin where a computer recount would have been automatically ordered unless Romney had waived it.

332 to 206 is a rather impressive margin of a victory. A margin greater than many predicted, including the effeminate wizard Nate Silver, but according to Politico this isn’t a mandate because the president didn’t win white voters.

Republicans have a very large electoral mountain to climb if they want to close the gap in the next four years.

  • i_a_c

    I remember quite clearly Bush touting his mandate in 2004 after winning 286-252. Obama wins in an electoral rout and by a wider popular vote margin and, you know, not enough Real Americans voted for him, so it doesn’t count.

    • Ned F

      And if you look at the electoral map of the U.S., the largest geographical area went for Mitt Romney, which is the real America, so there.

      • i_a_c

        I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen that bullshit come up on Facebook.

      • rob black

        Yes, Mitt won the square acreage vote….

        • Brutlyhonest

          Empty spaces on the map … and between their ears!

          • 1933john

            You have to give credit where credit is due,
            Romney/Ryan won with the dirt.

  • muselet

    Politico‘s analysis is even more offensive than that: they insist Barack Obama doesn’t have a mandate because he didn’t win among rural, uneducated white men. Or, put another way, hicks are the Real Americans.

    Let’s hear it for Captain ‘Murica.

    –alopecia

  • rob black

    1992
    Clinton 370 Bush 168
    1996
    Clinton 379 Dole 159
    2000
    * Bush 271 Gore 266
    2004
    * Bush 286 Kerry 251
    2008
    Obama 365 McCain 173
    2012
    Obama 335 Romney 206

    Out of the last 20 years, which two show up as questionable margins for a mandate…..?

    • muselet

      According to Righties, 2008 and 2012.

      They’re really not very good at arithmetic.

    In 2004, George W. Bush claimed a mandate (despite the fact that his administration spent so much time scaring the crap out of people & many people voted for his second term only on that basis):

    Bush staked his claim to a broad mandate and announced his top priorities at a post-election news conference, saying his 3.5 million vote victory had won him political capital that he would spend enacting his conservative agenda.

    “I earned capital in this campaign, political capital, and now I intend to spend it,” Bush told reporters. “It is my style.

    http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Bush-claims-mandate-sets-2nd-term-goals-I-2637116.php#ixzz2Br2CIfbB

    As far as I’m concerned, President Obama has a mandate, and the right wing can whine and bitch all they want, but it won’t change the facts.

    Adds………”Republicans, who have not won as many electoral votes as Mr. Obama did on Tuesday in 24 years’
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/us/politics/obamas-victory-presents-gop-with-demographic-test.html

    The Pres won the popular vote by 3.2 million.

    MANDATE.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Politico can eat the dark, creamy filling of my ass!

  • http://JCohenMusic.com Justin Cohen

    Why do you refer to Nate Silver as the “effeminate wizard?” Why can’t you just call him Nate Silver? It seems that this blog and this blog’s podcast talks a good deal about Nate being effeminate or possibly gay when Nate just does a great job of analyzing polls without bringing his sexuality into the mix. Is there something I’m missing?