Applebee’s Sucks Anyway

Over the weekend, I posted a Sulia item about Papa John’s CEO John Schnatter and how he intends to cut back hours for employees in order to get around the Obamacare requirement that all full time employees receive health insurance (companies with more than 50 employees).

Likewise, an Applebee’s franchise owner in New York, Zane Tankel (real name), intends to not hire more workers or build new locations.

Um, speaking for all consumers, I totally lament the loss of additional Applebee’s restaurants. Boooo! Ssssss! America deserves more of Applebee’s quality food and friendly service. Damn you, Barack Obama!

Seriously, only Applebee’s will suffer from not opening more stores. The rest of us are better off (and healthier) without their shitty food. If they refuse to expand, they’ll be hurt by the expansion of other franchises that’ll capitalize on greater market share — franchises with forward-thinking business models that provide all full time employees with health insurance — consequently they’ll enjoy all of the financial rewards commensurate with healthier workforces, less turnover and better quality workers, while Applebee’s shoots itself in its deep-fried foot.

All of these CEOs are just throwing tantrums, and not much else. I suspect most of them will settle down.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • zirgar

    A good and decent person with enough means and resourcefulness would simply absorb the loss or make the sacrifice personally rather than defer that burden onto other people. I understand that at times, to keep an entire company afloat, there’s a financial necessity to cut back and even perform layoffs, but this isn’t what this is about. At all. If Papa John’s can give away 2 million free pizzas this NFL season, it can afford to give its employees damn good benefits.

    • kushiro -

      Sure, but imagine how much Peyton Manning’s health insurance is going to cost.

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    By bycotting Chick-Fil-A, Papa John’s, Olive Garden and now Applebees, Americans won’t even need Obamacare. My arteries are already unclogging.

    • rob black

      I saw an article that this was being done by the Darden group, which I think includes “Dead Lobster” as well.

      In fact….it is…
      “Red Lobster, Olive Garden, LongHorn Steakhouse, Bahama Breeze, Seasons 52, The Capital Grille, Eddie V’s and Yard House”

      My left ventricle cheers………YEAH!!

  • Draxiar

    I think it would mad funny if Papa John’s and Applebee’s employees all called in sick on the Super Bowl (for PJ’s) and Black Friday (for Applebee’s). Y’know, just as an experiment of seeing how much these owners shit their pants at the loss of revenue as compared to paying for healthcare.

      That is an excellent idea.

    • Not Sayin

      Yup, and add that to the walk-out by Walmart employees on Black Friday as well and you’ll have a slew of folks in their pajamas wondering where the hell they’re supposed to eat or shop. ;-)

    And if they don’t…who gives a shit.

    This is how I think about it.

    They’re business owners, they’re entitled to run their businesses in the manner they choose.

    We are all entitled to choose which businesses get our dollars.

    MY dollars aren’t going to any business that treats employees badly or has come out against Obama in a visible way. That list includes the right wing owned Applebees (terrible food anyway), Papa John’s (frozen is better), Walmart, Whole Foods, Hobby Lobby, Olive Garden, et al.

    Let’s show them how their own political posturing can affect them!

    Shorter: fuck them!

  • trgahan

    Is this the new meme for the next few months? CEO’s of cut rate businesses crying that Obamacare will bankrupt them and giving screechy self-rightous “I’m taking you all down with me!” rants.

    Where was this economic doom when Reagon or Bush Sr. had to raise taxes? It is pretty obvious this is just a BS excuse for them to screw their employees and get away with it.

  • Brutlyhonest

    Top-notch business people making decisions based on political poutrage. That’s why they make the big bucks.

  • rob black

    At the risk of repeating myself, the most vile thing about these layoff’s is that Obamacare will not have any negative effect on these plutocrats bottom line. Unless you consider a healthier workforce a downside……and these modern day Snidley Whiplashes know it!
    The plan eventually subsidizes premiums on an income based scale and pays for it by adding 50 million new payers in to the system! A feature, by the way, that these barons of pizza and industry insisted on having included!
    Which means their motivation for these cutbacks are ..what? Pure childish petulance at having started a class war …..and lost it?
    I am sure the soon to be fired Papa Johns delivery guy is saying to himself….”well that will teach me a lesson, next time I will remember to vote for the guy living on the giant country estate, who fired me because he might have to kick in 25 cents toward my health care….”!
    Keep it up republicans! Piss off more voters…..it’s what we love about you.

  • Ned F

    All of these restaurant businesses generally employ mostly part time workers, very few work full time. The managers, head chefs, and corporate people in these companies are, I’m sure, receiving benefits. If they’re not, they’re getting royally shafted anyway. Last time I was in an Applebees, all the staff was under the age of 26, except for the manager. The kitchen help was mostly Hispanic. I don’t know if companies are required to provide health insurance for part time people on not, but all their college staff is probably covered under their parents policies.
    The entire business model is built on using a predominantly low wage, part time, younger, very transient work force.

    These guys with all the BS posturing should have been cheering on a single payer system.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    I wouldn’t be caught dead eating at these shitty chains to begin with, just because of their shitty food. Their diaper baby attitudes towards Obamacare give me an even better reason not to.

  • mrbrink

    The Papa John’s pizza guy is why we invented labor laws, a minimum wage, and the 40 hour work week.

    And they call these things obsolete.

    They say the same thing about the Voting Rights Act.

  • agrazingmoose

    Heck, these guys are just trying to justify a decision that they made ages ago. Their expansion days are over and they are trying to deflect that fact to Wall St.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Applebee’s

    Chick-Fil-A

    Pappa John’s

    Three restaurant chains with shitty food and shitty politics. Never has boycotting been so easy.