Back on the Campaign Trail

President Obama is reportedly going back on the campaign trail briefly this week to promote a solution to avoid going over the “fiscal cliff.”

The president will tour a manufacturing facility and give remarks in the southeastern Pennsylvania town of Hatfield on Friday, the White House announced Tuesday. The campaign-style trip comes as another example of the president building pressure on Congress through public support, rather than the behind-closed-doors approach used in last summer’s debt talks.

Friday’s trip will follow a week of meetings with other constituencies. He’ll meet with small-business owners from across the country on Tuesday and host an event at the White House on Wednesday with “middle-class Americans who would be impacted” if Congress fails to reach a deficit-reduction agreement by the year’s end.

My gut says this has less to do with passing a solution now and more to do with building political capital to pass a new middle class tax cut after the cliff has been jumped.

Right now the Republicans can easily refuse to extend tax cuts on only a select group of people, but after all of them expire, they will be forced to say no to passing a new tax cut that will benefit most Americans.

I’ve seen nothing to suggest the president won’t ultimately get what he wants, because as things stand this looks more and more like a repeat of last year when the Republicans had no choice other than to extend payroll tax cuts after thoroughly embarrassing themselves beforehand.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    The president has got the hot hand right now. If we go over the fiscal cliff, Congress (meaning the republican controlled House) is going to take the blame. Combine that with the coming tantrum if Reed follows through with reforming the filibuster and he’s got the GOP in the corner.

    He’s holding four aces while the GOP bluffs with a pair of deuces.

  • http://twitter.com/kraftytess Tessa

    Not only is he back on the campaign trail but his grassroots supporters are jumping into the fray as well. We are having two phone banks this Saturday in Sonoma county, calling Democrats who have Republican reps to ask them to call the rep and support ending the Bush tax cuts for the top earners. These phone banks are happening all over the country. We are energized and ready to keep fighting!

  • bphoon

    The campaign-style trip comes as another example of the president building pressure on Congress through public support, rather than the behind-closed-doors approach used in last summer’s debt talks.

    Taking a page out of the Reagan playbook: if it doesn’t look like Congress is going to give you what you want, go around them to the people. Something tells me he’ll be a bit more successful than Bush was with his Privatize Social Security tour in ’05. Among other things, the President is promoting policies that the majority of Americans actually support.

    • MiddleMittenLiberal

      Explain to me why the republicans are doing this? They took quite the beating the last time around. Gluttons for punishment, I guess.