Chart of the Day

Via Steve Benen:

It’s also worth noting that Catholics went for Obama 50-48, according to CNN, and Latino Catholics, in particular, supported the president by a margin of 3-1.

On that note… As an ex-Catholic, current agnostic and strong supporter of secular government, I’ve absolutely participated in the backlash against the religious right and its efforts to tear down the establishment clause. That said, perhaps now’s a good time for liberals to stop brow-beating anyone and everyone of faith — relentlessly hectoring them as idiots and children.

Sure, we ought to keep up the effort against the well-financed campaign to usurp secular law in favor of religious dogma, but to ensnare ordinary religious people in our crossfire is a huge mistake and will only undermine liberal progress.

Adding… The Republicans have marginalized themselves due to anger and intolerance. Let’s not make the same mistake.

  • freakishlystrong

    The Republicans have marginalized themselves due to anger and intolerance. Let’s not make the same mistake.
    We won’t. We’re not Republicans. Anger and Intolerance is not how we roll.

  • GeneralLerong

    Believe what you want. Just don’t force everyone else to believe it, too. And keep your long religious nose out of other people’s business.

    Let’s keep government “civil,” in more ways than one.

  • JWheels

    I have to agree on the religion issue. As an atheist I don’t quite understand having faith in any kind of deity, but I feel like that’s my own personal business. I will forever hector people who try to impose their personal religious beliefs on the general public, which I know is not what you’re talking about. I know that I will never be able to have religious faith but I recognize that many people who do profess a religious faith also happen to share my political views and also my view of the separation of church and state. It’s definitely important to be respectful the beliefs of others, and to be willing to work with them when we have common goals. Fortunately I think the majority of progressives probably see this.

    • priscianusjr

      Good for you! I’m finding that a lot of atheists try to impose their own religious beliefs on the general public, especial on the Innertubes. Glad you’re not one of them.

  • Chachizel

    As a Latino/American myself I have to say that the Rs are pissing me off in that they keep talking about softening their immigration stance to appeal to Latinos, and that’s all they have to do. Trust me Republicans, that is NOT the only reason we don’t vote for you. While I agree Bob that liberals need to stop being so condescending to religious people (I’m an atheist myself, and I probably do some of that too), because unfortunately (at least to me) Latinos are VERY religious. I have family members and friends that vote Repub simply because they believe that they are the “God” party. Drives me crazy, but it’s true. I personally think that all religion is bad, and dangerous, but it is a reality in America, so we have to deal with it, and religious people are as much a part of this country as whites, blacks, latinos, women, gays, etc., etc. Libs, don’t look or talk down to the religious, but keep their dogma out of our Government, stay your course on equality and social issues, and lets get some jobs going. Things look pretty good for us in the future. Congrats to Bob, Ashby, Brink, and all the frequent commenters on this blog for a job well done. Let’s all stay the course, and keep this movement going

  • bphoon

    Sure, we ought to keep up the effort against the well-financed campaign to usurp secular law in favor of religious dogma, but to ensnare ordinary religious people in our crossfire is a huge mistake and will only undermine liberal progress.

    Adding… The Republicans have marginalized themselves due to anger and intolerance. Let’s not make the same mistake.

    Cosign.

    • priscianusjr

      My thoughts exactly.

  • agrazingmoose

    As an ex-Catholic (taught by the wonderful nuns for 13 year and loving every minute) and with a Catholic family, I can say this:

    I am fine with people voting their conscious and I am even fine with the folks that vote based solely on abortion.

    What I am not fine with is people trying to use the government to push their religious views on the rest of us.

    Stop denying communion to the Kennedy’s and stop preaching politics from the pulpit.

    Frankly, their is no point in taxing churches at the federal level (but not at the state and local), it will just empower them to do worse things.

    • priscianusjr

      Hear, hear!

    • agrazingmoose

      Sorry for the typos. I am exhausted.