Election Night Open Thread

I’ll be a panelist on the Mike O’Meara Show’s “Decision Oh Twelve” coverage tonight from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. EST.

Also, use this thread to comment and vent about the election coverage.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • rob black

    I was going to wait until tomorrow night and slowly savor a few pints of Blvd….but then I found this un-opened bottle of Makers from last Christmas….
    Like this election, it could get ugly early…and then just stay that way.

    • JMAshby

      Way ahead of you.

      • rob black

        Yep… that’s the ticket. I knew I remembered Kentucky being good for something…

        • JMAshby

          I live in Ohio now, but yeah, you’re right. I used to live about 45 minutes away from the Makers distillery.

          • rob black

            I used to work for a company that headquartered in Owensboro (across from Evansville).
            After a few conventions…I just started calling it “Meet your Makers”. (based on the death like hang overs). Those guys drank it for breakfast….

          • JMAshby

            My former home town is Elizabethtown.

          • rob black

            ….and Kentucky gets called first for Romney. Hah! I drink their milkshake…

  • JMAshby

    Good tool for following election results by county http://www.google.com/elections/ed/us/results

  • mrbrink

    Mitt Romney has a victory speech planned over 1100 words.

    Wouldn’t that be one for the ages?

    -They said we couldn’t run a campaign based on lies and overt appeals to racism! We proved them wrong!

    -When they said a wealthy Wall Street tax cheat with a history of bankrupting communities could never get elected president in this economy we said, yes we can!

    -They said we couldn’t redefine rape! We proved them wrong!”

    -The cynics in the liberal media said we could never win on a platform of freedom, and liberty, and jobs and the economy, birth certificates and welfare reform, but you proved them wrong!

    -When we repealed Obamacare, Planned Parenthood, and Big Bird five minutes ago, we did so for every American over the age of conception and under the age of 26, and especially those with preexisting conditions who will now have coverage again through their existing plans[smile awkwardly for applause]. Seniors will now be free to make their own healthcare decisions, and Medicare will no longer burden our tax cuts with all that worry and future debt to our tax cut heirs.

    -Tonight, America, we have already reinstated exceptionalism, strength, compassionate authoritarianism, a better economy, more take home pay, less Mexicans. Tonight, America we dine on the poor!

    • rob black

      Doors in gated communities slam in unison! Upper class twits unite! We have nothing to lose, but a point of our marginal tax rates!

    • JMAshby

      No shit?

      “I wrote a victory speech but no concession speech.”

      What an arrogant fuckhead. If he actually concedes graciously I’ll eat my hat. My gut says Romney is too pompous to level. I welcome being proven wrong.

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    Christ, my stomach hurts. I’m nervous. Nervous nervous nervous nervous.

    • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

      One of you smart, loyal Cescans make me feel better. Please?

      • GeneralLerong

        Nate Silver. [glass of champagne] Nate Silver [glass of champagne] Nate Silver [glass of champagne]

        It seems to be preventing chewed fingernails, at least.

        • incredulous72

          LOL! How I wish I could follow in your footsteps.

      • JMAshby

        President maintaining a small lead in Florida so far with 49% reporting

        • stacib23

          55% in, Obama by 157,000.

          My head hurts.

          They haven’t polled the panhandle yet, and that area is more like Alabama (very conservative).

          9:32 abc just said Miami/Dade totals aren’t in, so we’re competitive!

      • MrDHalen

        Intrade.com is showing a massive amount of Romney shares for sell. Looks like a sell off is beginning; if that helps.

        • mrbrink

          Randolph! Mortimer!

          Sell! Sell! Sell!

          • MrDHalen

            Okay MrBrink…Water=Screen!!!!! :-) LOL!!!

          • JMAshby

            Fuck him! Turn those machines back on!

          • mrbrink

            I owe you $1 dollar.

          • JMAshby

            The memes are coming tomorrow I guarantee it.

          • JMAshby

            Looking good Bill Ray!

            Feeling good Lewis!

          • incredulous72

            LMAO!!! YOU IDIOT!!! GET BACK IN THERE!!!

      Me too. I can hardly breathe. :(

      adds……good place to watch the electoral map if the television is driving you crazzeee (and it is me):
      http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/results/live-coverage

  • JMAshby

    Ken Blackwell on MSNBC: “well it was about dat time I realized the long voting lines were actually the actions of that damn Loch Ness monster”

    • MrDHalen

      Pay him his $2.50 and show him the door!!!!

    ABC just called control of the House for the damn Republicans.

    ABC just called Pennsylvania for Obama!!

  • MrDHalen

    Reading the Intrade forums is way better than pundits!!! These guys are hilarious, but based on numbers and their wallets.

  • Ned F

    I can’t stand it. I’m taking a bunch of Seconal and going to bed. If OB wins, please revive me, if R wins just let me pass peacefully. Because I don’t know if I could handle the disappointment I would have in the citizens of the USA.

    • stacib23

      I just said something really similar to my mother. LOL

  • mrbrink

    Mitt Romney better rewrite that victory speech.

      Oh yeah!

    • incredulous72

      Word.

  • agrazingmoose

    Warren and Kennedy in MA. That should tide us over for awhile.

    • The_Dork_Knight

      Great news.

    • Draxiar

      *bows*

      Glad I could help

      • The_Dork_Knight

        :0) Its gonna be a good night…

    I would give my left hand for ONE little Xanax.

    Oh hell……pass me the damn shot glass!

    YES! Mourdock projected to LOSE (IN), Warren to WIN (MA)!!

    • JMAshby

      Don’t worry, it’s gonna be fine.

        Just poured myself a glass of vodka. :)

        • JMAshby

          you go girl

            I’m feeling better, indeed.

            FTW!

          • JMAshby

            I only have 1 beer left. Fuck.

  • Brutlyhonest

    I’m starting to worry about Virginia. The President can still win without these bumpkins, but the thought of that asshat george allen back in the Senate nauseates me.

    BTW, if it isn’t a single malt Scotch, from Scotland (of course), what’s the point?

    • stacib23

      After listening to Robert Gibbs, I think we might take Virginia.

      • Brutlyhonest

        I should have remained calm, all is well.

  • JMAshby

    The Rape Brothers are 0 for 3. Mourdock “god intended rape”, Akin “legitimate rape”, Thompson “some girls rape easy” go down.

    • muselet

      No matter what else happens tonight, that news makes me very happy.

      They should tour as “The Good ‘Ol Rape Brothers Boys Band”.

      • rob black

        The Rapey Bottom Boys! with “Butts of constant sorrow..”

  • agrazingmoose

    Claire wins MO! I really like her and am very pleased.

  • JMAshby

    Oh man. So many fools to clown the rest of the week.

    It’s gonna be a highlight reel. The greatest hits of dumbassery.

    • mrbrink

      Slow motion montage!

      • muselet

        Sort of like the super-slo-mo of stuff blowing up you see on Mythbusters. I like it!

        –alopecia

  • agrazingmoose

    I’ve switched to Ben & Jerry’s.

  • agrazingmoose

    Joe Walsh is sent packing! I am so pleased.

      Woohoo! Good news

  • Draxiar

    Buh bye Akin…don’t let anyone rape you on the way out…

    • The_Dork_Knight

      LOL.

    In AZ, Arpaio and Flake both winning. That really blows. I truly hate this fucking armpit of a state.

    • Draxiar

      Massachusetts spreads it’s arms wide to you Irish…especially since you’re Irish (Boston…BIG Irish town…)

        9 years before I can leave this stupid state. I will have tour the rest of the US to find out where I want to end up.

          Go Northeast, my friend. :)

    • The_Dork_Knight

      Its way too geographically interesting to just sceed to the wingnuts though…

        Sadly all this natural beauty isn’t worth it to me. Besides it gets so hot here it melts your brain. Its been in the upper 80s and low 90s this week. I am so sick of being sweaty. But now that the Prez has won, not even Arpaio and Flake can harsh my happy!

    • muselet

      Crazy people prefer to vote for crazy people. And if nothing else, demographics will take care of Joe Arpayaso and Jeff Flake (was there ever a more appropriate name for a wingnut politician?).

      Or so says the guy lucky enough to live in a blue part of a blue state.

    This thing is almost over.

    • mrbrink

      You did this!

    • stacib23

      Colorado, Nevada and Ohio should be added within the 1/2 hour. It will be a done deal. Damn, I wish I were a drinker.

  • stacib23

    Where is all hell is Graf?

    • incredulous72

      Seriously. Did HE drink himself into stupor with anxiety about this election?

        Him and me both. :)

      • GrafZeppelin127

        I don’t drink. I celebrated with a flagon from my secret stash of Vernors ginger ale. (That stuff is better than champagne.)

    • GrafZeppelin127

      Thank you for thinking of me. I mean that sincerely.

      I was so busy between the TV and the liveblogs I neglected to check in here. My bad.

      In court today so I’ll post thoughts later on another thread.

      • stacib23

        I was also serious in asking. You had me worried for a minute. :-)

  • mrbrink

    Senate Democrats are representing very very well in their victory speeches. Very nice, ladies and gentleman. I’m very proud of these Dems’.

  • D_C_Wilson

    And Ohio is called for the president.

    It’s officially over!

  • incredulous72

    HOT DAMN!!!!

    FOUR MORE YEARS!!!!

      FOUR MORE YEARS!! YES!!

      i can breathe again!!!

  • MrDHalen

    WHEWWWWWWWWWWWWW YAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    It’s over! Thank goodness….I will be able to get health insurance. I am so relieved I could cry.

      Me, too! And probably, Bob, too!

      • rob black

        Me too please….

  • The_Dork_Knight

    Congrats ya’all! Hard fought win.

  • stacib23

    Congrats to the country, and a great, hearty thank you to you all. I’ve practically lost it several times over these past four years, and it was this group that has kept me grounded.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Is everyone fuckin’ calm now?

  • kushiro -

    Not sure if this means anything, but right now Romney actually has moved ahead in Ohio. He is not conceding.

    • incredulous72

      Is this rat bastard going to drag this out?

      Romney is truly an asshole.

      • muselet

        He certainly is. In fairness, though, Ohio’s numbers are close enough that no serious candidate would concede yet.

          He can’t win even with Romney’s Ohio electoral votes. Only Florida, Virginia and Ohio are still in play, and Romney has only 200 EVs.

          • muselet

            Oh, understood. But early concession makes not just the candidate but the party look a little silly.

            Besides, this way the Rs get a couple more hours to crank up the outrage.

            “Besides, this way the Rs get a couple more hours to crank up the outrage.”

            Hell, Alo, they’ll be outraged from now until he’s no longer in office.

    • kushiro -

      Ohio numbers back on Obama’s side (+52K,92%), Virginia called for Obama (+50K,97%), and he’s leading in Florida (+55k,97.5%).

  • kushiro -

    Great observations on PBS contrasting the demographics at the two candidate’s parties.

  • muselet

    The *ahem* good folks at National Review Online are staying stoic (for which, read ‘nasty and bitter’) in the face of defeat, with only a minimum of weeping and wailing and rending of garments.

    Kind of disappointing, really.

    Just so everyone has something to point and laugh at, these gems from the infamous October 25 UnSkewedPolls/QStarNews press release:

    The QStarNews projection of the 2012 presidential race sees Mitt Romney being elected the next president of the United States with 53.63 percent of the popular vote and 359 electoral votes to President Obama’s 45.92 percent and 179 electoral votes.

    […]

    This projection is expected to be spot-on accurate for predicting the outcome in all 50 states and the District of Columbia and close to the actual popular vote. [This sentence has to be the funniest thing anyone’s written since The Goon Show went off the air.]

    […]

    Perhaps some of the most surprising states to some will be the following:
    Colorado: 54-45 Romney — a suprise for many still expecting Obama to carry Colorado
    Connecticut: 51-47 Obama — closer than expected, and probably an indication that Linda McMahon wins the state’s U.S. Senate seat
    Florida: 54-46 Romney
    Iowa: 54-46 Romney — many don’t expect this
    Maine: 49-49 Obama — much closer than expected
    Michigan: 51-48 Romney — the surprise of the night, Romney’s home state ties are more key than Obama’s claims to have “saved” the domestic auto industry
    Nevada: 52-47 Romney — this will surprise many
    Minnesota: 51-47 Romney — this will surprise many
    New Hampshire: 53-46 Romney
    New Jersey: 50-49 Obama — much much closer than expected, the Romney campaign will re-allocate resources to New Jersey if they believe this number
    New Mexico: 53-46 Romney — most don’t expect Romney to win New Mexico
    Ohio: 54-46 Romney — Late momentum and great ground game win the Buckeye state for Romney
    Oregon: 52-46 Romney — major surprise
    Pennsylvania: 53-47 Romney — big time upset
    Washington: 51-49 Obama — closer than expected

    So many swings, so many misses.

      HAHAHAHA…..love this, alopecia! Thanks for posting it. :)

  • muselet

    From AP, via KOMO News in Seattle:

    Supporters of gay marriage in Washington state said they were in a “very strong position” Tuesday night, with early returns showing voters narrowly approving same-sex marriage in the state, and residents giving similar measures the go-ahead in Maryland and Maine.

    With about half the expected ballots counted, Referendum 74 was passing with 52 percent of the vote.

    Antonin Scalia’s blood pressure just spiked to 300/170.

    –alopecia

  • rob black

    Alas…a sad night….For the Confederacy!!! Hah!..Hah! Hah!!
    Eat it crackers!! You servile, authoritarian, anti-intellectual dupes! You loose…again!!
    …and you almost literally had all the money in the world to steal it away.
    Sorry for the schadenfreude…..but holy shit…4 years of this crap.
    The most vile campaign tactics I have ever seen, coming from a group of people who claim to have a special relationship with God! People who claim to love this country.
    I am so sick of the right ….sick and tired of having to fend off their relentless campaign to drag us back in to the dark ages.
    They disdain knowledge, compassion, community….they elevate ignorance to a high art…and they do it all while looking down their noses at the rest of us.
    The last four years has been like turning over a rock, and being horrified at what scurried out from under it.
    I am about as cynical as they come…and thought I had seen it all, but this was just horrible.
    No one should have had to go through what this President had to go through, for the thankless task of making this place better for us all……ever.
    This just shouldn’t have been this hard.
    I hope the President was right when he said it made him a better leader, that it would be all worth it. If he really believes that, then he is most certainly a better man than I.
    I just want them to shut up and go away.

      Thank you for expressing my own feelings perfectly, Rob.

      We deserve to enjoy the schadenfreude, if only for a short time, and by damn, I sure as hell will enjoy it!