Florida GOP Deliberately Engaged in Voter Suppression

A former top GOP official in Florida has confirmed our suspicions:

Jim Greer, the former head of the Florida Republican Party, recently claimed that a law shortening the early voting period in the state was deliberately designed to suppress voting among groups that tend to support Democratic candidates, the Palm Beach Post reports.

“The Republican Party, the strategists, the consultants, they firmly believe that early voting is bad for Republican Party candidates,” Greer told the Post. “It’s done for one reason and one reason only…‘We’ve got to cut down on early voting because early voting is not good for us.’”

The HB 1355 law, which was passed by Florida’s Republican legislature and signed by Gov. Rick Scott (R) in Nov. 2011, cut the number of early voting days from 14 to eight. It was publicly sold as an effort to reduce voter fraud and to save money, but Greer says that this was simply a “marketing ploy.”

Greer served as Florida’s GOP chairman from 2006 until 2010 when he was forced to resign after allegedly stealing money from the party. He was arrested and his case is pending.

This should be enough for the Justice Department to charge the state with violating the Voting Rights Act.

(h/t Kush Arora – Rockville Defense Attorney)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    I hope the Justice Department pursues this to the fullest extent of what is allowed.

  • trgahan

    You know your party (your whole political view point) is in trouble when you have to start rigging the vote. I wonder how much the GOP is going to spend trying to produce a platform that Americans like verses working on way of stealing elections?

      $0.00

  • bphoon

    Florida GOP Deliberately Engaged in Voter Suppression

    Duh…

    • atlavely

      Yeah, that was my reaction, too. Like, this is news?

  • D_C_Wilson

    But. . . But . . . Obama has secretly confessed to committing election fraud

    What’s amazing is that this “decoding” of Obama’s speech will now be cited as an article of fact in the wingnuttisphere while, even though GOP officials are openly saying that they were trying to suppress the vote, they will deny that this was the goal.

    • muselet

      Good lord, no wonder that profiler’s hallucinations are a WND exclusive.

        Fuckin fever dreams.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Florida Republicans tried to suppress the vote from certain groups? I’m shocked I tell you. SHOCKED!