Four More

Artist – Adam Zyglis

In other news, Democrats in California have captured a supermajority of the state legislature, meaning they can now end an anti-tax stalemate that has been ongoing since 1978.

Proposition 13, which was passed in 1978, required a two-thirds majority in both state houses to raise taxes.

  • The_Dork_Knight

    Rachel Maddow is absolutely on fire tonight! Anyone who missed it, seek out the first segment of her show.

    A supermajority in California? They can go ahead and overturn prop 13 then, it’s been long enough. Cali could be so much better if the cost of living went down.

    • http://www.facebook.com/people/Kevin-Krupski/100002308768984 Kevin Krupski

      Man, this last two day have been great for the Dems and I just love how the GOP and AM radio is just shiting there pants becasue of it.

  • i_a_c

    Heh heh heh heh heh.

    “The billionaire donors I hear are livid,” one Republican operative told The Huffington Post. “There is some holy hell to pay. Karl Rove has a lot of explaining to do … I don’t know how you tell your donors that we spent $390 million and got nothing.”

    I can’t stop smiling at the fact that these billionaires blew tens of millions of dollars, totaling in the hundreds of millions, and got jack fucking squat in return. Citizens United-related spending was my number one fear this whole cycle, and I am elated to realize that it was all for naught.

    Fuck you billionaires, and your arrogance to believe that the American people can be bought off so easily.

    • ninjaf

      They didn’t get any victories for their money, but I am sure that the money spent made the margins tighter. We still need to get the money out of our elections.

    • gescove

      I’m wondering if it all got toilet-flushed? After all, Koch brother money has been used in the past to build infrastucture – think tanks, astroturf organizations, and so on – that bolster their long term agenda. Obama for America built an enviable organization but it might have a limited shelf life. But I’m with you – the plutocrats spent a shit ton of money and seem to have gotten diddly in return.

      • bphoon

        David Corn made a pretty good point this morning related to this. If nothing more, the dark money compelled the Obama campaign and Democrats in tight races (ie, Sherrod Brown) to find and spend more money than would otherwise have been necessary.

        On the other hand–notwithstanding think tank and astroturf organizations that will be a pain in our asses for decades to come–it didn’t seem to have much impact on electoral results.

        My wife mentioned, too, that most of that money did go for job creation of a sort: media jobs, broadcasting jobs, printing jobs, advertising jobs…

        • gescove

          Still, I want the tide to turn against the awfulness of the Citizens United decision. Money in our politics is a distorting poison, from lobbyists to revolving-doors to dark donors to corporate “free speech”. We dodged a bullet, but a fusillade has been unleashed.

  • muselet

    I just happened to remember: didn’t we have a troll in here a couple of days ago who promised to be back on Wednesday to be mean to us?

    Gosh, I hope nothing bad happened to him.

      Gosh, I hope nothing bad happened to him

      I am assuming that he actually drowned in his own salty tears