If She Can Vote, So Can You

If this woman can take time out of her day to vote, you certainly have no excuse not to.

For anyone who ever thought they were too busy to vote, meet 21-year-old Galicia Malone.

The south suburban Dolton mom-to-be was spotted at her polling place Tuesday morning on her way to give birth at a local hospital.

Cook County Clerk David Orr said Malone’s contractions were five minutes apart when she showed up around 8:30 a.m. at her precinct’s location named, yes, New Life Celebration Church.

If you haven’t voted yet today, do so as soon as possible. Be prepared to wait in line.

    The clerk’s office said Malone’s water had already broken when she made the stop to vote in her first presidential election.

    Wow.

    Makes me feel a little guilty that I only had to walk a couple of blocks in the warm sunshine this morning.

    –alopecia

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      Yeah. my wife & I drove 1.5 miles on a sunny, cool morning to vote. Since we both voted straight ‘D” tickets, I don’t feel as badly though.

      Serioudly, Ms Malone truly personifies democracy, and certainly voting for the benefit of her/our next generation.

  • Draxiar

    I’ll proudly hit the booth on my way home.

    Obama-Biden!
    Elizabeth Warren!
    Joe Kennedy III!

    Who wants to eat!? HOORAY!

    • agrazingmoose

      That is exactly what my mail-in ballot said. Go Elizabeth and Joe!

  • http://twitter.com/Gingersnap195 Beth F

    And here’s another trooper: a 106-year-old woman cast her vote (again) for Obama in Boston! http://tinyurl.com/clb3g68

  • atlavely

    I don’t have any story, especially like these, but I did drive in my warm car to the polling place after dropping my wife off at work, and voted much the same as Draxiar. Well, Joe wasn’t on my ballot, but…

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/RHGS6OLQA7FQUZV2BMNP7B7UAE Blue

    I feel bad for the people who have to wait in line for hours (for no good reason). I had a one minute walk on a sunny morning here in CA.

    But I still felt excited when I had finished voting. Just knowing that in other parts of the country there are voter suppression efforts taking place made it all the more important for me to get out and vote. (I always do vote, but it just seems more important this time.)

  • bphoon

    Excellent example of the importance of an individual vote. Hats off to her.

    I feel proud whenever I take the opportunity to vote. I’m exercising my civic duty and one of the civil rights I spent 21 years safeguarding. I just shake my head when I hear someone say they’re choosing not to vote. But, I guess freedom means the ability to choose not to do something, too.