Lesson for Republicans: Don’t Screw with Jimmy Carter.

How did I miss this story? I had no idea that Jimmy Carter’s grandson was the person who discovered the video Mitt Romney’s 47-percent remarks and negotiated a deal to deliver the video to David Corn.

Jimmy Carter’s grandson was tired of hearing the ex-President used as GOP punchline — and his act of revenge has hobbled Mitt Romney’s campaign.

In an odd twist of fate and history, it was James Carter 4th who unearthed the secret video of Romney at a Florida fund-raiser in which the Republican nominee demeaned the “47%” of Americans who are “dependent upon the government, who believe that they are victims.”

Carter, a freelance researcher, had been trolling the Internet for damaging videos and quickly realized the fund-raiser clip was his chance to get even with Romney for assaults on his family.

“I’ve gotten a lot of Twitter messages from people supporting me and saying that it’s poetic justice that it was a Carter that uncovered this,” the younger Carter told The Associated Press. “I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly.”

Jimmy Carter reveled in the discovery. “James: This is extraordinary,” the former President emailed his grandson. “Congratulations! Papa.”

Totally badass.

And I suck for missing this story… from September.

  • zirgar

    He also had a hand in uncovering that Lee Atwater video, didn’t he? If so, I’d say he’s definitely earned his bona fides.

  • roxsteady

    He was also on a couple of the MSNBC shows talking about this. He’s terrific.

  • bphoon

    It didn’t receive a lot of play at least as far as I know, but I read about it in Mother Jones and saw some of it on MSNBC. Good man in my estimation.

  • Username1016

    Who actually filmed Romney, though? Does anyone know?

    Small miss, Bob. In reality David Corn got most of the credit for it. I think Corn also spoke of a “confidential provider” or something whenever he referenced the source. I heard Carter’s name on Rachel Maddow one night–but his contribution didn’t get much play.

  • chucklenuts

    yes you do suck, that is why I come to this blog 10 times a day, have it saved on my phone, and get some of the most insightful thoughts on the political process in this country….so please keep sucking!!! :)

      *smile*

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      Good point.It’s this level of suckiness that has made us all Cescans now. I’m not as devoted as you (10 times per day) but I do start by morning off by seeing what Bob has going on..

  • Ellen Kuhlmann

    we forgive you Bob, probably you were too busy dissecting the content of the video. I heard about the Carter connection, but as others have said, it wasn’t talked about much.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Revenge is a dish best served cold. And, in the case of the Carters, topped with peanuts. ‘Cuz the family used to be peanut farmers. Get it? Ha-ha, that’s a good one!

    **sound of crickets chirping and tumbleweeds rolling in the background**