Let The Pandering Begin

This is Marco Rubio speaking directly to the lunatic base of the Republican party. He clearly wants to get out ahead of the game of winning the hearts and minds of future primary voters.

via ThinkProgress

GQ: How old do you think the Earth is?

RUBIO: I’m not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that’s a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I’m not a scientist. I don’t think I’m qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to answer that. It’s one of the great mysteries.

Actually, it isn’t a mystery at all. The earth was not created in seven days. The earth is not only 6,000 years old. Man did not walk alongside dinosaurs.

I don’t think Rubio is as dumb as he’s pretending to be, so I’ll chalk this up to him establishing his conservative street cred.

  • linuskan

    You do not need to be a scientist to understand and agree with basic common sense scientific facts. Like you do not need to be a gravity scientist to feel the pain when a bowling ball lands on you toe.

    We are all not scientists. We are all reasonable rational people who can make simple scientific judgement.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says

    And the Bible is wrong:

    http://www.theonion.com/articles/sumerians-look-on-in-confusion-as-god-creates-worl,2879/

    I love how the pandering works on Planet Winguttia:

    “I’m not a scientist, so I’m going to quote a bunch of stuff that has nothing at all to do with science.”

  • muselet

    Can you say “Iowa”? Sure you can.

    (With apologies to the late Fred Rogers.)

    –alopecia

  • MrDHalen

    How can Republicans still think they’ll be able to sale VCR’s to the American people in four years?

  • Siege

    When things like this happen, I let myself be comforted by the words of Neil deGrasse Tyson: “The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it.”

    • D_C_Wilson

      Or as Philip K. Dick said:

      “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, still exists.”

  • mrbrink

    “but I think that’s a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow.”

    That’s how wingnuts like Marco Rubio deceive people who seem to need to be comforted by these embarrassingly overt sociopaths.

    Pay no attention to the devil horns and look at this pretty rabbit, instead!

  • Draxiar

    Here’s a good follow up question:

    “Do you believe your doctor when she diagnoses you with cancer or do you consult your priest for a second opinion?”

    • KanaW

      Although the obvious answer to that is “he doesn’t have a female doctor”, so the question is irrelevant…. /snark

  • trgahan

    Yeah, Rubio! Cause we ain’t never used that sciency stuff for economic reasons.

    What a great day in world history it will be when NO political canidate has to ever pander to this BS worldview again.