McCain Skips Benghazi Briefing. Complains About Lack of Information.

While John McCain was busy picking fights with President Obama and U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice yesterday, his Senate colleagues were receiving a briefing on the very information McCain is demanding more of.

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) has been the leading congressional critic of the administration’s handling of the Benghazi attack and what he sees as the administration’s lack of candor with Congress on the matter. On Wednesday, he pledged to block the potential nomination of U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice to replace Secretary of State Hillary Clinton due to Rice’s statements on the attack. That drew a sharp rebuke from President Barack Obama at Wednesday’s press conference.

But although McCain had time to speak on the Senate floor and on television about the lack of information provided to Congress about the attack, he didn’t attend the classified briefing for senators Wednesday given to the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, of which he is a member.

According to Foreign Policy, the briefing McCain chose not to attend included represetantives from the State Department, the Department of Defense, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the National Counterterrorism Center, and the FBI.

Senators Carl Levin (D-MI) and Susan Collins (R-ME) both criticized McCain for not attending the event and for calling for a “Watergate style” special committee to investigate the matter and stated that such a committee isn’t necessary.

Libertarian boy wonder Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) also did not attend the briefing yesterday but did find time to complain about the lack of information.

John McCain’s spokesperson claims McCain’s absence was due to a scheduling error, to which I would say “no shit.” The error is obviously that he decided to conduct a press conference and participate in interviews to complain about a lack of information while said information was being disseminated.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    The question remains, however, did McCain suspend his campaign so he could fall asleep during miss the briefing?

  • Justice Callicles

    “Senators Carl Levin (R-MI) [..]”

    Carl Levin is a Democrat.

    • JMAshby

      Ha! I pulled a Fox News there. Innocent typo. I assure you.

  • Draxiar

    *Meanwhile Sarah Palin is holding a press conference complaining that President Obama is letting that “darn terrorist Ben Ghazi run free…because Obama pals around with terrorists…shucky-darns on that hopey changey thing”

    *some people say this is what she’s doing…I can neither confirm or deny ~wink wink nudge nudge~

  • rob black

    Was it you who called McCain the “worlds angriest leprechaun”?
    In any case it certainly fits.
    He and Lindsey “of the closet” Graham, should stay quiet for a while, instead of begging for more deservedly righteous slap downs from this President.
    Obama may not have said it out loud, but I think he is really feeling the old FDR quote…”they hate me and I welcome their hatred”.
    He is very loyal when it comes to his team and might end up booting the leprechaun over the rainbow…. again.

  • bphoon

    I’m sure McCain and Graham feel they just don’t have time for more briefings when there’s the opportunity to stick their faces into cameras and grandstand a bit. Recall it was these two, along with Lieberman, who, while McCain’s campaign was “suspended”, strode around the Capital halls being Very Important and Serious Men, yet accomplishing nothing. This has the very same feel.

    In typical ham-handed fashion, they’re trying nothing more than to strike a preemptive political blow at Obama that is in the process of backfiring. Neither of them are very good at Kabuki.

    As for Rand Paul, well…that’s really all I need to say.

    • http://www.facebook.com/samella.williams Samella Williams

      Speaking of Lieberman, where is he?

  • Brutlyhonest

    And to think it was only 2000 when mccain still appeared to be one of the last sane republicans. I’m embarrassed that I ever thought he was honorable.

    • D_C_Wilson

      This morning, I read an article on Salon (I think), that said you can chart McCain’s career by who beat him and what a sore loser he is. For example, after Bush beat him in a particularly nasty primary in 2000, McCain started to reach across the aisle to work with democrats. While it had the side-effect of giving him a reputation for bipartisanship, his real motivation was just to give Bush a big “Fuck you!” for trouncing him.

      Since losing to Obama in 2008, McCain has shifted into being a hardline republican and engaged in constant partisan sniping. Again, it’s because he’s pissed off at Obama for beating him, not because he changed any of his views.

      • Brutlyhonest

        I knew of mccain from his Navy career more than politics for a long time. In 2000, I believe he could have easily won the White House based on (1) his moderate, reasonable reputation (regardless of whether or not it was true, that was how he was portrayed by the MSM), (2) Gore’s bad campaign of running away from President Clinton, and (3) nader. But he was not conservative enough and the behind the scenes power brokers had selected malleable bush jr (and they still needed the supreme court to appoint the president).

        After he inferred he didn’t vote for bush in the 2000 election, there was a brief time when some thought he might party switch.

        But after that he became convinced he could win the Presidency as a republican if only he would go hard right. And he did go. It got him the nomination in a year when they expected to lose anyway.

        It’s a shame he never returned to his “moderate” ways. I guess he would lose his seat if he lost his wingnut cred?

  • muselet

    Reason number 37,391 why I dislike John McCain.

    And this, Jon McCain, is why you shall shut the fuck up over anything regarding Benghazi. If you can’t be bothered to attend a briefing that will give you answers to the situation, then you can’t be bothered to be taken seriously at all.