Nope. Not Racist At All.

It’s not a conspiracy theory if they admit to what you’re alleging.

via ThinkProgress

Another GOP consultant, who did not want to be named, also confirmed that influential consultants to the Republican Party of Florida were intent on beating back Democratic turnout in early voting after 2008. […]

A GOP consultant who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of retribution said black voters were a concern. “I know that the cutting out of the Sunday before Election Day was one of their targets only because that’s a big day when the black churches organize themselves,” he said.

The idea that Republicans have been intentionally trying to suppress Democratic voters is something that I think most people accept as the truth. Even on the Right, they realize this but don’t have a problem with it as long as it only effects you people.

This, however, is far more insidious, and their rationale far more ugly, than I suspected.

It’s not that Sunday is when all churches organize themselves. No. It’s black churches specifically. Because clearly none of the “47 percent” go to white churches. Only good, wholesome, Real Americans who hate abortion, love freedom, and vote Republican go to those.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Voter Suppression and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Victor_the_Crab

    But, but, but… the Democrats are the REAL RACISTS in America! That’s what Jonah Goldberg sayz!

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    I don’t want to get pissy about semantics, but it’s more than Democrats who are being disenfranchised. The problem is much bigger.
    I think it’s important to emphasize that republicans are robbing Americans of their constitutional right to vote and a citizens’ voice in self governance.
    We all know they’re targeting their opponents, but the evil is much deeper when you realize these bastards are attacking democracy itself, not just Democrats.

      Spot on.

  • D_C_Wilson

    See, if only they would vote republican, we wouldn’t have to suppress their votes!

  • Shawn Carey

    I hate to be so whiny about it, but ThinkProgress was just re-hashing the rather lengthy Palm Beach Post article.

    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/early-voting-curbs-called-power-play/nTFDy/

    Being a Palm Beach County liberal, I’m a trifle sensitive when our local media gets slighted for whatever occasional good investigative journalism comes out of it.

  • mrbrink

    “the cutting out of the Sunday before Election Day”… or burning crosses at polling places whichever is less offensive, or more “P.C.” for right wing nut jobs who think they’ve found the right decibel level to fool the beaten and blinded guard dogs of tolerance.

    So the voting rights act is obviously the problem here because burning crosses is just more cost effective. And think of all the jobs and economeh, conomeh, ‘conomies!

    And these silly cousin fuckers who because God obviously loves functioning imbeciles can fill the shit out of the proper forms and official affidavits like Pinball wizards of breaking pin ball machines probably swore on a Holy Bible somewhere along the line in taking their lynch mob case all the way to the Supreme Court that their motivations for seeking repeal of the Voting Rights Act is strictly one of modernizing democracy, or freeing up states’ rights over the vote.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I still wish someone would bring this up: GOP fans are always talking about how overwhelming majorities of The American People™ “agree” with them, how far more people are “conservative” than “liberal,” how history and current events prove them and the GOP self-evidently right about everything, how Fox is the most popular and most trusted cable news channel while “no one” watches MSNBC, listens to “liberal” radio or trusts the “liberal media,” &c., &c. (Leave aside the recent election result; the denizens of the paracosm will continue to believe and say this.)

    If any of this was true, Republicans would be breaking down doors, turning over rocks and doing everything in their power to get as many people to vote as possible. If they really had the political/ideological majority they think they have, there would be no need to suppress the vote and a powerful incentive to do the opposite.

      You’re absolutely right Graf, but again that’s rational thinking. Really for them the cart does go before the horse. They think that there is a conservative majority in America (reality be damned). From that they extrapolate that the elections and all power in the U.S. must be rigged in favor of Liberals. Therefore, the only way to counter that is to cheat a little themselves. See, they already believe Democracy has been undermined so what does it matter if they do it too. It’s a dirty war so they feel they have to fight dirty. They actually kind of remind me of paranoid schizophrenics who think everyone is looking at them funny, so they act weird and everyone IS looking at them funny.

      We always come back to the same question….when they start with an ideological belief that is reinforced 24/7 by the MSM, radio personalities, etc…..reality will NEVER break through that initial belief from which everything else follows (just like it won’t with a paranoid schizophrenic). So how do you stop this vicious cycle?

      The schizophrenic can be locked up and given medication, which works to make them more rational and therefore capable of recognizing reality. But this part of the metaphor doesn’t apply to the conservative paracosm. I don’t have an answer as to how to wake them up and stop this stupidity other than countering the conservative propaganda that’s inundating them. Do you? Does anyone?

      • GrafZeppelin127

        There’s no way for us to get them out of the paracosm. Someone inside has to lead them out.

        It’s truly incredible just how many rhetorical tools they have at their disposal to keep that paracosm closed. Republicans lose an election? Voter fraud. News events that make Republicans look bad? Liberal media bias. Polls that show Democrats leading an election race? Skewed. Statistics or other facts that show Democratic policies have worked, or Republican policies have failed? Fake. Angry, hateful, racist signs and remarks at Republican campaign events, or comments on right-wing blogs? Liberal “plants.”

        A lot of the behavior is not that dissimilar from that of paranoid schizophrenics. Could it be that we’re creating more of them, through this Orwellian reality control that goes on inside the paracosm? Is constantly being told by trusted radio and TV personalities that you are being threatened, oppressed and subjugated by hordes of imaginary people a catalyst for mental illness?

          Well, there is certainly precedent for such a thing. It would range though from what I call common “crazy making behavior” to full on brainwashing.

          Regardless of the degree of influence, this schism between reality and what the Noise Machine tells them is reality will cause stress, more in some personalities than others. Those with latent mental illness could experience a psychotic break particularly when combined with other big life stressors such as a job loss, divorce, homelessness or loss of a home….all of which far too many people have experiencd recently. I have known paranoid schizophrenics on my caseload and personally and stress always makes their paranoia and voices worse. So yeah, you are right from a theoretical and logical standpoint. But I would love to hear from some Psychiatrists and counselors as to what they think of this theory. Has anyone heard from Lex lately?