Politico Leans on the Hack Button Again

Politico’s Jim VandeHei and Mike Allen thinks it’s impossible to have a mandate without white men:

If President Barack Obama wins, he will be the popular choice of Hispanics, African-Americans, single women and highly educated urban whites. That’s what the polling has consistently shown in the final days of the campaign. It looks more likely than not that he will lose independents, and it’s possible he will get a lower percentage of white voters than George W. Bush got of Hispanic voters in 2000.

A broad mandate this is not.

I love how the goalposts are constantly moving. The president is close to victory, but nope — no mandate because of white men. So fail. Or, if he manages to win by a significant margin, still no mandate. Wow, the president really sucks. He just can’t close the deal, can he? No — not without white men.

  • JoyP

    Typical Politico writing. I like this take from a reader at TPM http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2012/11/sometimes_reader_emails_are_so_fun.php?ref=fpblg

    • bphoon

      I know language pretty well but I have absolutely no idea what that asshole was talking about. Sounded like he happened upon a random blog and took the opportunity to try to impress someone with how many big, cool words he knows.

      • Brutlyhonest

        try to impress someone with how many big, cool words he knows.

        Sounds like george will!

  • agrazingmoose

    Not just any white men. He isn’t going to have a mandate without uneducated, rural white male voters.

    You know, the ones that hang empty chairs from their trees.

  • http://twitter.com/GodIsDead Gern Blandston

    The next thing, of course, will be the realization that, if you can get a majority from not-white-men, then… that must mean… WHITE MEN ARE THE MINORITY! WHY YOU PUTTING ME DOWN BRO? FIGHT THE POWER! WE SHALL OVERCOME!

    Boy they’re really trying to scare them to the polls, aren’t they?

  • Username1016

    So what’s he saying here — some animals are more equal than others? If Romney won without any black votes, or any female votes, would THAT be a mandate?

    Hey Politico, I’m not a white man, but I am NOT chopped liver, and I’m voting Obama. Put that in your biased, entitled pipe and smoke it.

    • bphoon

      Well, I’m a white man and I already voted for Obama so, fuck them motherfuckers!

  • bphoon

    If Obama wins either 50.000001% of the popular vote or 270 electoral votes that’s a mandate. Doesn’t matter what demographic mix that vote is comprised of.

    • TerranceGilmore

      The better question is, why is Romney failing to get a majority of non- rural white guy vote?

      This argument can be made either way. Books should be written about the Republican party’s failure to build a larger coalition and rely solely on the votes of uneducated white men

  • Clancy

    I’m shocked that no one has brought it up yet, but VandeHei and Allen are merely pointing out that only “real Americans” matter. This is the same thing that most of the media has been repeating since Obama was able to seal the Democratic nomination in 2008. It’s the same reason the media bent over backwards to justify the Tea Party’s temper tantrums and GOP obstructionism in Congress even when Obama had a “Super Majority” in the House and Senate.

    To most of the white- and male-dominated media, white men are the only true Americans.

  • trgahan

    yeah, hard not to want to ask Vandehei and Allen exactly why uneducated rural white male votes count more than all the other demographics they list…

  • muselet

    Bob, are you really suggesting what Charlie Pierce calls Tiger Beat on the Potomac ever avoids the hack button?

    –alopecia

  • mattpd

    I’m saving this one for my friends and family who, if obama wins a close election, will claim there is no “mandate”:

    “The hair-pullers and teeth-gnashers won’t like it, of course, but we’re nevertheless inclined to call this a Mandate. Indeed, in one sense, we think it an even larger and clearer mandate than those won in the landslide reelection campaigns of Nixon in 1972, Reagan in 1984, and Clinton in 1996.”

    Who said this? Why none other than William Kristol on the event of George Bush’s close win in 2004.

    source: mediamatters

    • Brutlyhonest

      But, but, That was different. This time the President was elected by blacks, hispanics and a few traitorous whites. Also, too: it was a republican then.