Progress

When I say that the tremendous amount of money spent on this election was not a waste because we won, and because we made an enormous amount of progress in the process, it feels like an understatement.

In Maryland, voters approved marriage equality by a margin of 4 percent. In Maine, voters approved marriage equality by a margin of 6 percent. And in Washington, voters approved marriage equality by a margin of 4 percent.

In Minnesota, voters also defeated an amendment to ban same-sex marriage by a margin of 3 percent.

The citizens of Wisconsin voted to elected the nation’s first openly-gay senator, Tammy Baldwin, who will now join 20 other women in the Senate. And out of the five women elected to the senate on Tuesday, four of them are Democrats. This marks the highest number of women in the Senate in our history.

In the House of Representatives the Democratic Caucus will not be majority white male for the first time in history. And in total, 78 women will be sworn into the House during the next session of congress, which is also a record high.

In New Hampshire, the entire state will soon be represented by an all-women delegation and governor.

Voters in Colorado and Washington also voted to legalize the recreational use of Marijuana.

The challenge for Democrats, and for those who support social progress, is to ensure that we do not lose the ground we have gained in 2014 during the next midterm election cycle. And for now we should all take solace and enjoy the holiday season, but as soon as the next session of congress begins, the fight will be on to turn back the clock.

We cannot afford to be complacent or take a long honeymoon just as many did in 2009, nor can we allow some of the more unreasonable voices on our own side to impede pragmatic progress.

Elizabeth Warren declares victory. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ned F

    Elizabeth Warren was the second best thing for me in this election. By refusing to confirm her appointment to the CFPB where she would be working today, the Republicans lost a senate seat for the next six years to someone who is probably going to be a real thorn in their side. Justice and karma in a double -down smackydoo.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Not just six years. She’s got the moxie to hold that seat for several terms.

      Unless she decides to run for president.

      And wouldn’t that just drive the GOP batshit insane.

      • muselet

        That’s not a drive. That’s a short putt.

    This…

    The challenge for Democrats, and for those who support social progress, is to ensure that we do not lose the ground we have gained in 2014 during the next midterm election cycle.

    …and this…

    We cannot afford to be complacent or take a long honeymoon just as many did in 2009, nor can we allow some of the more unreasonable voices on our own side to impede pragmatic progress.

    …are, to me, the biggest challenges to Democrats going forward, at least in the mid- to long-term.

    In the short term…

    as soon as the next session of congress begins, the fight will be on to turn back the clock.

    …don’t think the extreme right-wing Republicans are going to simply roll over, dry up and blow away, even in the face of the such a definitive electoral defeat. If more moderate elements of the Republican party are to re-marginalize the wingnuts, it will take some time. Until then, if it indeed happens, there’s more than enough time for them to do plenty of damage.

    Be aware. Remain active.

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      Yep, as well as things went this week, it is no time to ‘take a knee’. Keep up the up-tempo offense and keep putting points on the board. Or, so similar sports analogy..

      …don’t think the extreme right-wing Republicans are going to simply roll over, dry up and blow away, even in the face of the such a definitive electoral defeat.

      Especially since, in their worldview, such a definitive electoral defeat joins the ranks of things — such as evolution, climate change, and Thomas Jefferson — that have never happened.

  • trgahan

    Agreed! Pretty much every wing nut that can get on mainstream TV and/or the radio is in full double down on crazy mode. its all damage control by blaming Romney the canidate; not on the wingnut fringe that put the definition of rape, access to contraception, deportation, more tax cuts for the rich, and voter supression at the top of the agenda.

    Its total “Conservativism didn’t fail! America failed Conservativism!!” mode.

    • muselet

      Digby:

      Get used to the hearing about how the Republicans failed because they weren’t true conservatives. Conservatism can never fail. It can only be failed by weak-minded souls who refuse to properly follow its tenets. It’s a lot like communism that way.

      The date on that blog post, by the way? Saturday, November 26, 2005.

      –alopecia

  • Chachizel

    I really think that the Rs are going to continue their obstructionist ways this next Congress, but…in doing so they’re going to piss off the “new” America, and get voted out in 2014. Then BO will continue the baby steps towards a more progressive USA. Lol….one can hope anyway