Quote of the Day

The Republican party is a cascade of symptoms right now. And it’s very hard to see a way out of it. It has managed to construct an almost perfect Newtonian hall of mirrors — for each solution, there is within the party an equal, but opposite problem. There is almost no way to function within the party structure as it has been redefined by the various elements of the conservative “movement” without rounding a corner and colliding with the image of itself coming in the other direction. For example, let us consider the problem of “demographics,” which is the polite Republican way of talking about the browns, and the blahs, and the ladies with their ladyparts potions. I wish I had a nickel for the number of people I heard tell me how ready the Republican party is to adapt to the changing face of America. The evidence always cited for the plaintiffs: Marco Rubio, “Bobby” Jindal, and the newly elected Ted Cruz down in Texas.

Okay. Even leaving aside the utter tokenism of the basic argument, Rubio is a pro-life fanatic. Jindal is even more of a pro-life fanatic, plus he’s bringing into Louisiana through his charter “schools” a veritable torrent of Jesus-on-a-dinosaur propaganda textbooks, and he has all the charisma of a handball at this point. And Ted Cruz is completely batshit. -Charles Pierce on “The Demented Republican Party”

We saw a similar scenario play out after the 2008 election.

In 2009 the Republicans gathered a group of their rank and file (which included but was not limited to Eric Cantor, Jeb Bush, Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, and Kevin McCarthy), branded them as The Young Guns, and sent them on a “listening tour” of the nation wherein they would supposedly learn what they need to change.

And we all know how that turned out.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • rob black

    That was a great take by Peirce and something that seems to be lost to the chattering beltway media.
    That clown circus of a primary.. wasn’t a choice, it was the best they could field given the monster they have created by pandering to the insane base.
    Now the monster is awake and running the show….and nothing has changed.
    They are literally in the process of hanging themselves with a noose of their own making…..and there is no one to save them.
    The new young superstars they are whispering about now, have just as many skeletons in their closets as the last batch the tried to foist on us.
    I say….keep the boot on their necks. They are bleeding and dying from self inflicted wounds.

    • bphoon

      They are literally in the process of hanging themselves with a noose of their own making

      I think if we just leave them to their own devices, they’ll go ahead and slap the horse out from under themselves. What we need to focus on is keeping our edge, keeping our constituency engaged and ready to wage the policy battles before us. We cannot afford to be like the US military complex after WWI…after WWII…after Korea…after Vietnam, demobilizing and waiting for the next war to start before beginning preparations all over again.

      It’s tough keeping in fighting trim after winning the fight–the understandable tendency is to relax, have a congratulatory drink, take a vacation, get some rest and let life return to normal. We need to realize that, while we won a great victory on Tuesday, the battle has only just begun. It’s time to perform for the American people now. Our victory will be hollow–and we’ll pay the price for that as we did in 2010–if we don’t follow that victory with action. We seized the initiative; we need to keep it.

      The other side believes they’re in a war–literally–for America’s soul. We need to remain engaged because they’re gonna keep fighting. Now is no time to quit the field.

      • rob black

        The thing I used to console dem friends with after 2010 was that “young people don’t turn out for midterm elections”. What I was saying was ..wait until 2012..we will recover.
        That cycle held true..but thanks to Republican jerrymandering, it wasn’t enough to take back the house….which brings up 2014.
        Young people probably wont turn out for the 2014 midterms either…which is why the dems need to focus like a laser on a strategies to take back the house and oust the remaining baggers in 2014 without the benefit of Presidential year enthusiasm.
        If we had been able to carry over 08 enthusiasm in to 2010 we wouldn’t be in the mess we found ourselves in. We cant afford to take our foot off the gas again.

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    ‘A cascade of symptoms’ is accurate as they now blame Hurricane Sandy.
    They bought their own bullshit, hook line and sinker.