Republican Outreach: Another Round of Abortion Legislation

It appears that the next wave in the War on Women is about to come ashore in Wisconsin.

The state’s largest anti-abortion group sees opportunities to place further regulations on abortion, including requiring women seeking the procedure to view an ultrasound of their fetuses.

Wisconsin Right to Life is also proposing banning abortions that would cause pain to the fetus, barring abortions that are sought based on the sex of the fetus and prohibiting the ability of state employees to use their state health care plans to get access to abortions.

“I support all those measures and would gladly be a lead or co-sponsor on any of them,” said Rep. Joel Kleefisch, R-Oconomowoc. “Any measure to protect life is of the utmost highest priority.”

And in Arkansas

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Abortion opponents in Arkansas see an opportunity to enact new restrictions, including a ban on the use of telemedicine to make the abortion pill available, with Republicans controlling both sides of the Legislature in next year’s session.

Fresh off an election where Republicans won control of the state House and Senate for the first time in 138 years, GOP lawmakers and anti-abortion groups are now focusing on a handful of bills they believe have a better chance.

The “utmost highest priority” (redundancy anyone?) is abortion.

Not the economy, or infrastructure, or the environment. Abortion.

If this is what Republicans consider to be an outreach effort, I can only imagine what a campaign of scorn would look like.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in War On Women and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • agrazingmoose

    No American doctor would perform an abortion based on the sex of the fetus. Do these people think that we suddenly live in China?

  • jeanne marie

    If you want to know where all the “grassroots” anti-abortion legislation is coming from, check out Americans United for Life (UL):

    http://www.aul.org/

    Regarding their strategy:

    Legislation

    While much of the attention of pro-life Americans is on Congress and the courts, it is a fact that the vast majority of our pro-life laws are enacted and enforced at the state level.

    No matter how well-intentioned a law is, it won’t have the intended effect if it isn’t worded correctly; in fact, sometimes it can actually make matters worse. AUL attorneys are highly-regarded experts on pro-life legal language and the Constitution, consulting on bills and amendments across the country. In addition, our model legislation enables legislators to easily introduce bills without needing to research and write the bills themselves, helping ensure that their efforts will have the desired impact and withstand judicial scrutiny.

    In 1992 the Supreme Court clearly opened the door for states to put legal limits on abortion in the decision Planned Parenthood v. Casey. Since that time, AUL has focused on helping state legislators to pass the best pro-life laws they can, and then helping the state Attorney General to defend those laws in court against lawsuits by Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, and Center for Reproductive Rights.

    We are continually working to help legislators enact new pro-life laws that will go into effect and not be unnecessarily tied up in court so they can save lives today while continuing to roll back Roe v. Wade in the courts. To do that, we educate legislators on the issues and provide them with model legislation and legal advice on legislative language. We work hand-in-hand with legislators to minimize avoidable problems so activist judges can’t easily tie a good law up for years in court or strike it down completely.

    A network of state directors act as the face of AUL to state legislators on a daily basis. States that currently have AUL state directors are Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Utah.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Not the economy, or infrastructure, or the environment.

    Those things don’t create jobs! Think of all the unemployed ultrasound technicians who will benefit from this law.