Republican Outreach: The He-Man Woman Haters Club

Check out this collage of House Republicans and take note of what they all have in common:

Yes, of course they’re all white men. They’re also the chairmen of every committee in the House of Representatives as of next year. That’s right, John Boehner appointed all white, all male committee chairs. You know, because they’re interested in reaching out to women and minorities following the election.

They’ll never learn.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Republican Party and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • RilesSD

    Looks bad, but isn’t it based on seniority though?

    • bphoon

      Generally speaking but I think the Speaker has the latitude, for political purposes mostly, to jump someone up to the chair position. As far as I know, the precedent is there.

      Not so much with the seniority any more:

      “For many years, committee chairs have been selected on the basis of seniority. Recent work has suggested that alternative factors, specifically financial support of party goals and party unity, have diminished the importance of seniority in committee chair selection. However, previous work has either failed to quantify these effects or has done so with inappropriate methods. This paper argues for the use of a Bayesian conditional logit estimator to correctly model committee chair selection in the U.S. House of Representatives. Results show a declining commitment to seniority throughout the Republican era and support the importance of fundraising as a determinant of committee chair selection. This paper shows that two other factors, financial support of party goals and party unity, have essentially replaced seniority as the central criteria for selecting committee chairs.

      Abstract, study is behind academic paywall.

  • rob black

    Colbert called them, or some sub set of them “the box of pink crayons”.
    Led by the crying “orange” crayon.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I’m not sure how big a deal this is. How many Republican congresscritters are women or minorities? Of those, how many have seniority?

      True, but that only emphasizes the historical nature of their sexism. If they never elect or appoint any women or minorities, how can they gain seniority. Also, since being on a committee gives a Congresscritter more power to negotiate and bring home the goods for their district and thus more likely to get re-elected….again affecting seniority. So the lack of seniority only puts the exclamation mark on the fact.

        You are after my own heart IrishGrrl. What she said.

    It is true that these chair positions are typically assigned by seniority. It is also true that Boner would be seen as making a political move by assigning a woman or a minority to the chair of a committee. That is the talk on the blogs and media about this situation.

    But wait just a moment. That’s only looking at it from one perspective. The other side is this: Why aren’t there any women or minorities with enough seniority to get the chair of a committee? Simple. The Republican Party is what it has always been: A party full of white males with no interest in discussing immigration reform, the role of women as equals in politics, or a changing postmodern electorate. Old white men–same bad ideas. They haven’t learned anything.

      Sorry I just said same thing without reading further down. My bad.

  • http://3chicspolitico.com/ Ametia

    The Rethugs are trippling down on Old White Boys Club. Period

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Well hey. What about Michelle Bachman?

    Oops, forget I said that!

  • D_C_Wilson

    Looks like the board of directors for the Duke and Duke brokerage.