Republicans Desperate for a Second Term Scandal

I’ve mentioned this on the blog and on the podcast, but here’s Paul Waldman’s take on the Republican desperation for a second term Obama scandal and how they’re really, really struggling to make it the Benghazi the thing.

So what’s going on here? I can sum it up in two words: scandal envy. Republicans are indescribably frustrated by the fact that Barack Obama, whom they regard as both illegitimate and corrupt, went through an entire term without a major scandal. They tried with “Fast and Furious,” but that turned out to be small potatoes. They tried with Solyndra, but that didn’t produce the criminality they hoped for either. Obama even managed to dole out three-quarters of a trillion dollars in stimulus money without any graft or double-dealing to be found. Nixon had Watergate, Reagan had Iran-Contra, Clinton had Lewinsky, [and don’t forget that Bush had the Plame affair and the Abramaoff scandal! –ed] and Barack Obama has gotten off scott-free. This is making them absolutely livid, and they’re going to keep trying to gin up a scandal, even if there’s no there there. Benghazi may not be an actual scandal, but it’s all they have handy.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Republican Party and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • JackDaniel07

    Perhaps the worst thing to come out of this whole sordid Benghazi affair, is the neanderthal abuse of the lazy phrase “There’s no there there.” Very serious.

  • Ned F

    I would add the news entertainment complex to this yearning also. Well, the elections over, now what do we fill our time with?… OMG, a SEX scandal , thank you, God! Mix it up with that Benghazi thing…we have a winner!

    • MrDHalen

      I’ve noticed a bit of an aggressive tone coming from CNN & MSNBC reporters towards the GOP and I love it! After 8 years of a Bush run DC, our media became pathetically complacent at calling out the GOP, but now they’re starting to bite back a little. It took about 4 hours for McCain to get called out for missing the briefing and confronted. A few years ago, he would have sailed on for weeks or never have been called on it at all.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    More proof that they’re still not over Watergate, and to a lesser degree, George H.W. Bush’s loss in 1992. The last POTUS to lose a re-election bid, and the last, indeed only, POTUS to be driven from office in disgrace before his term was up, are Republicans.

    By Grabthar’s hammer, Nixon shall be avenged.

  • rob black

    “and don’t forget that Bush had the Plame affair and the Abramaoff scandal! –ed”
    Hell, you could have taken any given day from the White House daily schedule 2001-2009 and come up with scandals that would make Tricky Dick look like a choir boy.
    Remember the pallet loads of money that just “disappeared” in Iraq?
    The entire no bid contract set up with Halliburton was so corrupt, and served to funnel so much money to so many hacks…….
    In any case, there is just something beyond the pale disgusting about the way they are trying to use Benghazi. It is just such a new low, from a party you almost thought could not get any lower….and having McCain grinding his jaw and stamping his feet about it, gives it a creepy level of vile. Given too, that he is apparently doing it for no other reason than because he is terming out of his power committee position.
    If you can get any creepier than using dead american’s as a bludgeon to attack a sitting President.
    If they would do this, the next step down for them has to be the kind of paid for, manufactured setup, Nixonian rat fucking…except on a much bigger scale.
    They positively reek of desperate.

  • r_dale

    They’re desperate for any reason to start impeachment proceedings. I’ll bet before the end of 2013 we hear those very words.

  • trgahan

    When it came out that our Tea Party controlled congress cut funding for embassy security and hundreds of embassy workers where injured or died from attacks between 2001-2008 it is hard for the GOP to try to push it farther into the public spotlight.

    Benghazi is only a real thing to the far right, who has only further embraced their information bubble since the election, the MSM needs to stop paying them attention.