Rogue FBI Agent Was Right Wing Nut

The fact that former CIA Director David Petraeus participated in an unsavory relationship(s) is unremarkable in itself, but now we know how the FBI investigation into the matter of threatening emails was leaked to Eric Cantor before the White House was even notified.

From the NY Times

Ms. Kelley, a volunteer with wounded veterans and military families, brought her complaint to a rank-and-file agent she knew from a previous encounter with the F.B.I. office, the official also said. That agent, who had previously pursued a friendship with Ms. Kelley and had earlier sent her shirtless photographs of himself, was “just a conduit” for the complaint, he said. He had no training in cybercrime, was not part of the cyber squad handling the case and was never assigned to the investigation.

But the agent, who was not identified, continued to “nose around” about the case, and eventually his superiors “told him to stay the hell away from it, and he was not invited to briefings,” the official said. The Wall Street Journal first reported on Monday night that the agent had been barred from the case.

Later, the agent became convinced — incorrectly, the official said — that the case had stalled. Because of his “worldview,” as the official put it, he suspected a politically motivated cover-up to protect President Obama. The agent alerted Eric Cantor, the House majority leader, who called the F.B.I. director, Robert S. Mueller III, on Oct. 31 to tell him of the agent’s concerns.

The FBI began their investigation after it appeared that the person responsible for sending threatening emails to Jill Kelley knew more about David Petraeus’s schedule than they should have, but after the rightwing agent who alerted the bureau to the matter was shut out of the case, he contacted Eric Cantor to tell him about it.

The White House was not notified of the investigation, or Petraeus’s affair, until after the election.

While we’re on the subject, General John R. Allen apparently exchanged between 20,000 and 30,000 pages of emails with Jill Kelley, some of which were “flirtatious” according to the Associated Press.

According to a senior U.S. defense official, the FBI had uncovered between 20,000 and 30,000 “potentially inappropriate” pages of communication between Allen and Kelley, Petraeus’s alleged other woman and the subject of the shirtless FBI agent’s affection.

Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta released a statement early this morning, saying Allen will retain his position for now.

And they told me the gays where the ones who would compromise the integrity of the service.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ipecac

    Shouldn’t there be some kind of repercussions for going outside the agency and informing Cantor of an ongoing investigation? I sure hope so.

    • http://twitter.com/raoulduck Raymond Voigt

      Speaking to a Congressman is exempt from agency sanction. Legally. Career wise, he’ll love the Rapid City office.

      • D_C_Wilson

        If he’s lucky. If he’s not, well, maybe once he’s transferred to Anchorage, he’ll get a chance to meet Palin one day.

  • ArrogantDemon

    This right wing hack got Petraeus, Allen, and possibly Cantor into some shit to try & take down Barack Obama, but instead, picking off one Neo-con after another, and you know what that is called……karma

    or for my more scientific people, for every reaction, there is an opposite & equal reaction

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000098740588 Jeremy Grunloh

    20,000 and 30,000 *PAGES* of emails, Ashby. Big difference.

    • JMAshby

      Noted. Although we still don’t know how they figure that number. Point being it’s a lot.

      • JackDaniel07

        Only 100/day for an entire year…
        Unless he missed a day, in which case he would just send 200 the following day

        …..
        unbelievable

      • delosgatos

        Probably every email is printed, starting on a new page, with headers, including back and forth responses with a lot of repetitive quoting and previous headers, possibly in doubloe-spaced 14 point all caps “legal document” style or something. I could easily see a half-dozen quick one-off short messages in a back-and-forth thread growing to 10-20 pages that way.

        Also, I heard the 20K figure may be either hyperbole or not exclusively emails. Of course, I’m just one guy on the internet saying without citation that I heard something somewhere, so YMMV. :)

      • KarenJ

        I’ve read elsewhere that a simple 600×600 pixel JPG is the equivalent of many pages of text….

        Sooooo, General Allen and Jill Kelley may have been sending PICTURES to each other.

          Heck, I assumed they were sending pics too. Romance in the age of the Internet…..and all that.

  • gescove

    Did Petraeus let Lil’ Petraeus betray us? Plus, I had no idea that the FBI chain of command went from rogue agent to Eric Cantor to the bureau director. Good to know. Jeebus, I am already weary hearing about Petraeus’s and Allen’s penis placement history and we’re only a few days into this crap.

    • http://www.facebook.com/people/Kitty-Smith/100000047475312 Kitty Smith

      I’m going to steal “penis placement history”, I hope you don’t mind.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I need a Venn Diagram just to keep track of who was allegedly schtupping whom.

  • Ned F

    Still no word if Ms Kelley is an agent of SPECTRE or CONTROL.

    • muselet

      KAOS, Ned. CONTROL were the good guys.

      –alopecia

      • Ned F

        Doh!. I mean, I knew that, just wanted to make sure you were paying attention.

    • Nefercat

      It must be because of the cone of silence.

  • 1933john

    I thought that Jarheads were suppose to “Hit the Beaches”, not the Bitches.
    I can’t believe that the HMFWIC was not aware of this.

      Like I said above, they probably were, but didn’t do anything until Kelley opened her mouth to the FBI.

      • 1933john

        Above??

    “And they told me the gays where the ones who would compromise the integrity of the service.”

    Straight military people screw like bunnies with and without their spouses. Puhlease! Plus men as high up as Petraeus are like rock stars….they get their own sort of groupies. They also usually have pretty huge egos which never bodes well for keeping their pants on. However, the military has always covered or ignored such things because, well, humans will do what they do. This is not as uncommon and such as shock as people want to make it out to be. What is weird is that both Dir. Petraeus and Gen. Allen got caught. Now that is just plain stupid for men of their rank and experience.