Someone Get Mitch McConnell a Pacifier

Last month the Congressional Research Service, the non-partisan congressional study group that scores congressional proposals, issued a report that found “no correlation” between tax cuts for the rich and job creation.

After a swift bout of kicking and screaming from top congressional Republicans, the CRS withdrew the report.

The decision, made in late September against the advice of the agency’s economic team leadership, drew almost no notice at the time. Senator Charles E. Schumer, Democrat of New York, cited the study a week and a half after it was withdrawn in a speech on tax policy at the National Press Club. […]

“This has hues of a banana republic,” Mr. Schumer said. “They didn’t like a report, and instead of rebutting it, they had them take it down.” […]

Senate Republican aides said they protested both the tone of the report and its findings. Aides to Mr. McConnell presented a bill of particulars to the research service that included objections to the use of the term “Bush tax cuts” and the report’s reference to “tax cuts for the rich,” which Republicans contended was politically freighted.

Aw. They didn’t like the tone of the report. Their feelings were hurt by use of the terms “Bush tax cuts” and “tax cuts for the rich,” both of which are accurate descriptors.

According to the report from the New York Times, Republicans also objected to the report on economic grounds saying that the report did not take into account “the time lag of economic policies.” Meaning they believe tax cuts create jobs if you simply give Tax Cut Magic enough time to fully materialize.

Curiously, after ten years of being lorded over by the Bush Tax Cuts, they have not be bequeathed us with a flood of jobs.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Victor_the_Crab

    Would a hand grenade do in place of a pacifier?

      How about a nice fresh goblet of hemlock?

  • cowboyinbrla

    Not only has there not been a flood of jobs, but these are the same Republicans who insist we have to count every single job lost during the early months of the Obama presidency as “on his watch”, even though he couldn’t begin to implement any changes in policy for some time. So when bad things happen at any point in a Democratic administration, that administration is to blame; but if bad things happen in a Republican administration it’s because we have to give them more time to make the voodoo work.

  • missliberties

    Awful.

    This is undemocratic bullying. Worthy of Russia’s Putin.

  • muselet

    What do you expect when cutting taxes for the rich is a tenet of religious faith for the Rs? The CRS and Thomas Hungerford are lucky not to be facing charges of heresy.

    “ten years of being lorded over by the Bush Tax Cuts”

    Our economic policy since Reagan has been that of fucking “trickledown” economics. That’s approx. 30 years!

    Trickle down does not work. They KNOW this. They only use it as an excuse to keep filling the pockets of the wealthy.

    Fucking unethical bastards!

    This smacks of a dictatorship!

    And while I’m at it, the Congressional Research Service should be seriously ashamed!

    • Draxiar

      “…the Congressional Research Service should be seriously ashamed!”

      After lowering seated Republicans further down in my ratings book I thought exactly the above statement. If the CRS is non-partisan why would they give a flip about what Republicans and their Ministry of Truth want to hear?

  • D_C_Wilson

    So, the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy didn’t give us a flood of jobs. That’s no reason to think another round of tax cuts for the wealthy wouldn’t finally break the dam.