Soul Searching

Artist – Tim Eagan

There’s being cheap, and then there’s being a dick.

From the moment Mitt Romney stepped off stage Tuesday night, having just delivered a brief concession speech he wrote only that evening, the massive infrastructure surrounding his campaign quickly began to disassemble itself. Aides taking cabs home late that night got rude awakenings when they found the credit cards linked to the campaign no longer worked.

Who cancels the credit cards within hours of the election? Don’t you have better things to do be doing at that point such as drinking yourself into a stupor or sleeping?

Now here’s Stephen Colbert.

  • Nanotyrannus

    I tweeted during his concession speech –

    “Why is @MittRomney smiling right now? He’s about to fire every one of these fuckers in the audience…”

  • D_C_Wilson

    He didn’t become a billionaire by being generous to the help.

  • Nefercat

    So that hour and a half wasn’t spent just writing his grudging 5 minute speech; he was dictating a to-do list to a flunky on which financial access points were to be immediately terminated. He smiled (smirked) out at that crowd, many of them workers for him, knowing that he had just fired them. He Bained them and they didn’t even know it.

  • bphoon

    I’ve read before, though, that many times the first indication campaign workers have that a campaign in kaput is when the credit cards stop working. Seems, though, that maybe they could have used some of that limitless super PAC cash to prop those up for another day or so…

  • hanadora444

    Credit cards cancelled? No surprise there. If it’s one thing that’s been consistent about Romney, it’s that he’s all about money. How to get every possible cent for himself and how to hang on to every cent after he gets it. I always suspected that his whole run for the presidency was to put himself into position to give himself that big tax cut for zillionaires that he promised.

  • ninjaf

    I certainly don’t want to be defending Mitt Romney, but I was listening to POTUS on Sirius/XM last night and they had said that Romney wanted to make sure to save enough in the coffers for the staffers to be paid until the end of November — and they did manage to do that. So, their campaign credit cards may have been cancelled tout suite but they will be paid their salaries until the end of November.

    Personally, I kind of doubt Romney had anything to do with the credit cards being cut off. I’d bet that that decision was made by a Republican or a few Republicans who have access to the PAC money and want to skim a little off the top, something like that. Either way, the decision would be made by somebody who was doing it so that Romney didn’t have to think about it in his time of loss.