Stuart Stevens: We Carried The Day By Losing

Here’s an impressively obtuse op-ed column from the chief strategist of Mitt Romney’s failed presidential campaign. Emphasis on failed.

My favorite parts:

When much of what passes for a political intelligentsia these days predicted that the selection of Rep. Paul Ryan meant certain death on the third rail of Medicare and Social Security, Mitt Romney brought the fight to the Democrats and made the rational, persuasive case for entitlement reform that conservatives have so desperately needed. The nation listened, thought about it — and on Election Day, Mitt Romney carried seniors by a wide margin. And it’s safe to say that the entitlement discussion will never be the same.

The nation listened, thought about it — and on Election Day, President Obama carried a majority of Americans and won reelection by a margin of 332 to 206 electoral votes.

On Nov. 6, Mitt Romney carried the majority of every economic group except those with less than $50,000 a year in household income. That means he carried the majority of middle-class voters. While John McCain lost white voters under 30 by 10 points, Romney won those voters by seven points, a 17-point shift. Obama received 41 / 2 million fewer voters in 2012 than 2008, and Romney got more votes than McCain.

That means he carried the majority of Real Americans. You know, the people who matter. Not you people (read: the 47 percent).

Yes, the Republican Party has problems, but as we go forward, let’s remember that any party that captures the majority of the middle class must be doing something right. When Mitt Romney stood on stage with Barack Obama, it wasn’t about television ads or whiz- bang turnout technologies, it was about fundamental Republican ideas versus fundamental Democratic ideas. It was about lower taxes or higher taxes, less government or more government, more freedom or less freedom. And Republican ideals — Mitt Romney — carried the day.

Let’s remember that any party that fails to win must be doing something right.

I agree! Keep going, you’re doing great!

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • LK3

    Is that the Charlie Sheen version of #WINNING ?

    • Miranda

      Stuart Stevens is more high than Charlie Sheen has ever been if he believes what he wrote.

  • Brutlyhonest

    Is there anything they aren’t (i) afraid of, (2) will whine about, or (c) can rationalize?

    • D_C_Wilson

      X. lie about.

    “That means he carried the majority of middle-class voters.”

    While I assume that this is false, let’s assume for a moment that it’s true.

    Given that as a fact, the obvious conclusion Republicans don’t see it as a problem that there is so much poverty in this country that a candidate can win solely on the votes of the lower class.

    Maybe if a single one of their policies resulted in upward class mobility, there would be more middle class voters, and thus more votes for them.

  • gescove

    Just more Republispeak. Losing is winning. Discredited and rejected ideas are all kinds of awesome that will carry the day. If Republicans were capable of embarrassment or shame, they would shun from civil society.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    That bit of drivel from Stuart Stevens deserves the Colbert Bump. On top of Stevens’s head, to be precise.

  • muselet

    Shorter Stuart Stevens: This is too a center-Right country! It is it is it is! *stamps feet*

    Of course Stevens has to make excuses for blowing the election—and for being oblivious to the late polls—in order to keep practicing his chosen profession, but this is just embarrassing.

    Standard GOP rationalization.

    Even though our candidate lost, our ideas still won!

    Why do you think Boner and Cantor are running around claiming that the election is a mandate to implement Romney’s tax plan of cutting the top rate (again) in exchange for closing imaginary loopholes?

  • bphoon

    As Jason Linkins pointed out today:

    I shouldn’t have to point this out, but let’s remember that things that “carry the day” do not lose, and that things that don’t do “enough to win” do not “carry the day.”