Tea Party Poll Watchers Targeting African-American Precincts

Dan Froomkin reports:

Poll watchers from groups ostensibly targeting voter fraud are headed primarily to minority voting precincts on Election Day, lending support to the argument that their real goal is to suppress the African-American and Latino vote.

A partial list of precincts targeted by a Pittsburgh Tea Party group working on behalf of the Republican Party shows that nearly 80 percent of the voters in those precincts are African-American, compared to 13 percent countywide, according to civil rights and union groups who on Monday called on the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate.

An Ohio political blog is reporting that forms submitted to election officials by Tea Party spin-off group True the Vote in Franklin County — which includes Columbus — show poll watchers heading to 28 precincts, where most voters are African-American. Overall, the county electorate is 20 percent African-American.

Oh I’m sure this is a total coincidence and that it’s not Jim Crow style racism.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • JWheels

    Nope, voter fraud is a real problem, trust me. It just happens to be a coincidence that the only people that commit it are those damn ni— um, *cough* “city” folks.

  • roxsteady

    I can’t speak for all African Americans but, since I am one I can tell you that you should expect that some of these True The Vote assholes are going to get punched in the face. I suspect that they will show up looking to intimidate and end up getting intimidated themselves. Many of us are already pissed off about the disrespect that has been shown to this President and these long lines at the polls. Personally, I hope a few of these idiots get their teeth knocked out! I’m also comforted by the fact that the Justice Department is also sending their own poll watchers and lawyers to keep an eye on these cretins!

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Scum like Scott and Husted can try all they want to suppress the vote, but they are in for a big surprise. People are sick and tired of Republican party antics and will not be intimidated by their bully boy tactics any longer. Obama’s victory will not be denied tomorrow.

    • muselet

      I hope the self-appointed poll watchers from True the Vote suffer nothing worse than cold stares. Otherwise, Rush Limbaugh and the marionettes on Fox will scream about nothing else for the next six months, and even more voter-suppression laws will follow.

        While I agree that is what would happen, I also think people have a right to be angry and to express that if someone tries to intimidate them at a poll. It’s not right for us to allow Limbaugh and his ilk to set a standard that “those” people can’t even stand up for themselves. No, I’d rather they just punch the mofos in the face, than have to swallow it. There are just some things that go too far and cannot be tolerated.

        • muselet

          Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind having a couple of True the Vote nitwits get punched, preferably on-camera so I could watch the video over and over and over. In theory, it could send a message that would be good for democracy: interfere with a citizen’s right to vote and pay a high price.

          In practice, I fear even more of those people (the Right would amend that after the punch to those dangerous, violent people) would be actively disenfranchised. And next election, True the Vote would go poll-watching armed.

          Voting is the best revenge, as someone said just the other day …

    [True the Vote’s] founder, Catherine Engelbrecht, told The New York Times that she suddenly became concerned with voter fraud after President Barack Obama’s election in 2008. “I don’t know, something clicked,” she told the Times.

    “Something clicked.” Gee, I wonder what it could have been …

    –alopecia

  • stacib23

    A voter’s prayer:

    Please keep them away from my polling place. I don’t want to be on the news.

      I know what you mean, I would have to really restrain myself if I saw them being asses at my polling place. Thankfully, I was able to vote early last week.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1405004314 Cindi Tracy Aune

    “A partial list of precincts targeted by a Pittsburgh Tea Party group working on behalf of the Republican Party shows that nearly 80 percent of the voters in those precincts are African-American, compared to 13 percent countywide”

    Yep, a total coincidence now move on, nothing to see here:O

  • D_C_Wilson

    Want to see my shocked face?