The Endlessly Insufferable Peggy Noonan

Her column yesterday is a remarkable study in saying ridiculous, unserious things in a very serious (hackish, poseur) way. For example:

I think it’s Romney. I think he’s stealing in “like a thief with good tools,” in Walker Percy’s old words.

Oooh! Noonan can access Bartleby.com. By the way, what the hell kind of compliment is that about Romney? He’s a thief with good tools? We’re supposed to vote for the thief?

And then she literally urged us to ignore all of the data — because there are large crowds at Romney rallies and lots of Romney/Ryan yard signs. Which, in reality, is totally meaningless. This is the kind of intuition-based gut punditry horseshit that’s poisoned our political discourse. Ignore the data? Really?

Oh, and Romney is going to win because Obama seems bitchy and distracted. How dare the president have other things on his mind!

And there is Obama, out there seeming tired and wan, showing up through sheer self discipline. A few weeks ago I saw the president and the governor at the Al Smith dinner, and both were beautiful specimens in their white ties and tails, and both worked the dais. But sitting there listening to the jokes and speeches, the archbishop of New York sitting between them, Obama looked like a young challenger — flinty, not so comfortable. He was distracted, and his smiles seemed forced.

Bear in mind: Peggy Noonan is one of the most respected insiders among the rest of the insiders. She’s considered the embodiment of seriousness. The female George Will. And yet she makes election predictions based on the amateurish metric of yard signs and rally sizes and “flinty”-looking presidents.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • ElayneB

    I have to say the “like a thief with good tools” is perhaps the greatest accidental slip of the whole campaign.

  • Brutlyhonest

    Speaking of that asshat will, did you catch his recent column in which he used “big words “to call the President lazy and uppity?

    That’s a dude I’ll likely kick the crap out of if I’m ever within reach.

    • kushiro -

      Did he mention baseball? It’s not a George Will column without baseball. Bonus points for Washington Senators.

  • http://www.facebook.com/corbettpc Carol Corbett

    I have never been able to abide Peggy Noonan. Who elected her know-all pundit???

    Can’t stand that silly witch. She should be dishonorably retired!

  • Scopedog

    (Shakes head sadly)

    Wow. Talk about idiocy.

    And then there’s this:

    http://www.opednews.com/articles/1/Obama-Votes-for-Romney-by-Stephen-Lendman-121106-808.html

    Yep, the system is too messed up, so don’t bother to vote! And President Jill Stein will fix everything!

    Yeesh. From both the Right and the Left. Glad I just voted–for Obama, of course.

    • bphoon

      Jesus Christ, how long
      does this guy go on like this?
      Five more pages. Epic. Fail.

      It’s like he’s trying,
      and failing miserably,
      at writing Haiku.

  • rob black

    “Mr. Noonan”, on Sunday, had Romney winning with 321 ev’s.
    Their ilk buys their dog whistles at Tiffany.
    Nooners, Will, Brooks, Friedman…all born on third base and constantly “appalled” any of the great unwashed have problems making it home.
    If one good thing has come out of the past four years of epic fail on the part of the MSM, it is how many of these wingnut welfare cases have been forced out in to the open.
    The usual suspects like Rush are practically bellowing the n word now, but there is a particular brand, those who would pretend to be Buckley’s standard bearers (WFB being a true Bircher at heart himself) who are finding it harder to couch their racism in ever more convoluted terms.
    So hard to find good help these days….

  • margietalks

    I never saw a single yard sign for Romney in this area. During Bush and McCain, the place was carpeted with them. Something about this election is really off. I do not see any passion for Romney. So it should be an interesting night

    • D_C_Wilson

      The “librul” media has been hammering the idea of the “enthusiasm gap” into our heads since 2009. I haven’t seen it among the president’s supporters. If anything, the more of a douche Romney has been, more passionate his supporters have become.

  • Draxiar

    And here’s a good article by David Lynch…yes, THAT David Lynch:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-lynch/post_4094_b_2078391.html

  • bphoon

    I’ve always found Noonan to be insufferably condescending. She literally tilts her head back and looks down her nose at whoever she’s talking to.

    I can find only one word that adequately describes her and it begins with the letter ‘c’.

    One thing I can agree with, though: Romney has stolen in “like a thief” but I don’t think his tools were particularly good.

    • muselet

      I can find only one word that adequately describes her and it begins with the letter ‘c’.

      Contemptible?

        That’s one way of putting it.

  • trgahan

    Can Noonan please remind me which pro-Obama rally’s had employers forcing their employees to attend unpaid? The “job creators” guest speaker’s whose’s primary income in the least 4 years been government contracting? Can she please show me the pro-Obama emails threatening the lose of jobs if Romney wins?

    I only saw my first pro-Romney yard sign (not staked at an random intersection) after the first debate and it’s still the only one. I live in Utah and been traveling throughout the Red State Mountain West.

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/YYOS6J6747W6NTJZH4E4HGBP6I Barbara Ellen

    I live in conservative Orange County California and have seen a couple of romney bumper stickers, more Obama bumper stickers (and have had people comment on mine). I haven’t noticed any yard signs for President, just local stuff.

  • muselet

    Peggy Noonan is one of the pundits I go out of my way to avoid. There’s only so much stupidity and smugness I can take before my teeth start to itch.

    Peggy Noonan is one of the most respected insiders among the rest of the insiders. She’s considered the embodiment of seriousness. The female George Will.

    In other words, she’s the Villager idiot.

    –alopecia

  • JoyP

    Do you know what I noticed first Peggy? I admit I am a little shallow, but the first observance I made was Mitt’s tie was crooked and Barack’s wasn’t. I think it was an omen. Seriously, doesn’t someone dress Mitt? How can you show up with your bowtie askew?

    • MiddleMittenLiberal

      I was watching Diane Sawyer’s interview with Romney last week. They were walking through the house and it was like a caravan–almost like they couldn’t trust him to be left alone with her.

  • D_C_Wilson

    “Insufferable” is the perfect word for Noonan. She reminds of Shelley Long’s character, Diane, on Cheers: Pretentious and pseudo-intellectual with an almost narcissistic need to tell us that she’s the smartest person in the room, even when she’s obviously not.