The Gross Hypocrisy of John McCain and Lindsey Graham

Ambassador Susan Rice sat down with Senators John McBitter, Lindsey Graham, and Kelly Ayotte today to assuage their concerns, but apparently this gesture, which she was not obligated to make, has been spit back in her face.

After originally accusing Susan Rice and the Obama administration of intentionally misleading the American people, their new charge is that they shouldn’t have conveyed the intelligence that was given to them at all. Because they should have known it wasn’t accurate. Or something. Of course we know now that it wasn’t entirely inaccurate.

Sens. John McCain (R-AZ), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), and Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) sat down with U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice in a closed-door meeting on Tuesday to discuss the administration’s response to the attacks in Benghazi, Libya earlier this year. Rice did not appear to soothe their concerns.

“I’m more disturbed now than I was before,” Graham told reporters following the meeting. “I think it does not do justice to the reality at the time and in hindsight clearly was completely wrong. But here’s the key, in realtime, it was a statement disconnected from reality.” […]

“If you don’t know what happened, just say you don’t know what happened,” Graham said. “People can push you to give explanations and you can say I don’t want to give bad information. Here’s what I can tell you — the American people got bad information on the 16th of September, they got bad information from President Obama days after, and the question is, should they have been giving the information at all? If you can do nothing but give bad information, isn’t it better to give no information at all?”

The gross hypocrisy of John McCain and Lindsey Graham is beyond description.

They never demanded that the Bush administration answer for one of the biggest lies told to the American people in recent history, which is that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction. Hundreds of thousands died in Iraq, many more were wounded, and we pissed away $3 trillion in blood and treasure.

And here they are having a chicken-or-the-egg argument over the disclosure of intelligence following the deaths of four Americans in Libya. Four deaths which, as far as I can tell, are no longer even part of the conversation. McCain and Graham have stopped asking why they were killed and are now just chasing shadows.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    Sort of makes you wonder what John McCain is saying in the parallel universe in which he was elected president, eh? Palin? Any GOP politician?

    • KarenJ

      In the parallel universe, John McCain would be in Arlington Cemetary, having succumbed to an apparent allergic reaction at a state dinner, and President Palin would have pulled a “Morsi maneuver” and would have eliminated the elective process by executive fiat; i.e., she never had to campaign for re-election.

      And the most significant acts of her administration were to eliminate the minimum wage, deregulate manufacturing, and to construct “zones” where the hoi polloi must live and work in megafactories, now that cheap goods are now produced in the USA by millions of easily replaceable USA workers.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Nah, after parallel universe McCain dropped dead of a heart attack, President Palin quit in early 2010 to start her career as a Fox contributor and reality TV star. Speaker Boehner was then sworn in as president and spent the remainder of the term bawling his eyes out because he found out there is no way to make millionaires 100% immune from taxation.

        • ny35mike

          although if it was early 2010 when Palin quit it would have been Speaker Pelosi

    “We have serious problems and we need serious people to solve them.” Unfortunately for you John McCain and your equally ludicrous buddy Lindsey Graham, you two ain’t them. For you two, your fifteen minutes are up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWRVbWMvi7c

    • incredulous72

      Here, HERE!
      I was just thinking while reading this and listening to Chris Matthews talk about these two gits, it is time that South Carolina and Arizona elect competent, responsible and well informed individuals to the Senate because these two (as well as Kyl and DeMint) are taking up valuable space.

      Then I realized what states these gits represent, and I proceeded to pour myself a shot.

      Good. Grief.

      Before anyone tears me down about the states, my family is from South Carolina so I’m well within my right to opine. ;-)

  • zirgar

    If she had said, “I don’t know what happened,” then they’d be calling for her head for not knowing what happened. This is stupid and ugly. Pricks.

  • nellcote

    I think they gave the game away when they compared Rice’s SoS nomination to John Bolton’s.

  • roxsteady

    How stupid are these 3 Stooges? John Bolton is a joke and so are they and who the hell is Kelly Ayotte? This ignorant, Steppford bitch would have to reach up to shine Susan Rice’s shoes? All 3 of them are beneath Susan Rice and I can’t wait to watch them run from the press once she is nominated and confirmed.

    • KarenJ

      Kelly Ayotte apparently has read Mitt Romney’s playbook on how to serve as a state elected official. Before her term as NH Attorney General ended and before she ran for US Senator from NH, she destroyed all her state e-mail archives.

      There’s a lawsuit currently being argued in NH’s state Supreme Court regarding the legality of doing that. However, Mitt Romney eluded censure or penalty for buying and destroying computer hard drives used during his MA administration — so it’s likely Ayotte won’t suffer for eluding any future FOIA requests.

      In that, she’s proved she’s smarter than Sarah Palin, who got around FOIA requests in Alaska by using private Yahoo e-mail accounts – a self-indictment for fraud if ever there was one.

    “If you can do nothing but give bad information, isn’t it better to give no information at all?”

    It really angers me that Republicans have now decided that national security should be trumped by curiosity. Because, that quote above? No. That’s wrong. Giving bad information to the American people isn’t a good thing, of course, but releasing misleading information to the entire world in order to maintain intelligence secrets? Seems standard, certainly preferable.

  • bphoon

    “If you don’t know what happened, just say you don’t know what happened,” Graham said. “People can push you to give explanations and you can say I don’t want to give bad information.”

    “…the question is, should they have been giving the information at all? If you can do nothing but give bad information, isn’t it better to give no information at all?”

    Where the fuck was this douchebag when Colin Powell gave his 2003 UN speech?

  • D_C_Wilson

    If you can do nothing but give bad information, isn’t it better to give no information at all?”

    This after weeks of screaming their heads off about how they weren’t being given enough information?

  • Victor_the_Crab

    “I’m more disturbed now than I was before,” Graham told reporters following the meeting.

    Lindsey Graham, you always were more disturbed than you could ever imagine.

    • muselet

      I’d like to see this as the headline on every newspaper in the country tomorrow:

      Lindsey Graham: I’m a very disturbed man

      And damn you for getting to the joke first. :^)

      –alopecia