The Most Expensive Extreme Weather Event of 2012

If you guessed Hurricane Sandy was the most expensive extreme weather event of 2012, as I did, you’d be wrong.

The drought effecting a significant portion of the nation is actually the most costly weather event of 2012, and it isn’t over.

The U.S. drought could be the most costly extreme weather event to hit the U.S. this year. In a 2012 marked by above-average wildfires in the West, record heat waves across most of the country, a massive superstorm that rocked the East Coast, and a surprise derecho that knocked out power to millions of Americans, that’s saying a lot. Jeff Masters at the Weather Underground reports that the drought could cost the economy between $75 billion to $150 billion, making it more expensive than Superstorm Sandy. [...]

According to a new analysis of extreme weather from the Center for American Progress, there have been at least seven extreme weather events in 2012 that have caused over $1 billion in damages. In September, The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported that the first eight months of 2012 were the most extreme for weather ever recorded.

Rather than asking when it will end, maybe we should ask if it will end.

Sweet dreams!

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • atlavely

    “… if it will end.”
    It will. We, as in humans, who caused it, likely will not see it.

  • rob black
    • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

      Did you see the most recent comments on that video?
      No doubt they are all American wingnuts because one doesn’t see that level of denial in other countries. Mind you, most countries aren’t fed the GOP diet 24/7.
      Faux Snooze is worse than Pravda at the height of the cold war.

        Hell Fox news could give lessons to Goebbels!