The Rape Brothers Go Down In Flames

One of the more positive signs to come out of the election last night was that playing the role of rape apologist doesn’t play well in America even in some of the most conservative areas of the country. Which is, needless to say, a pretty low bar, but still reassuring nonetheless.

Todd Akin, who claimed the female body has ways to “shut that whole thing down” in the case of “legitimate rape,” was defeated by Claire McCaskill by 15 percent in Missouri.

Richard Mourdock, who claimed pregnancy from rape was “something that god intended,” was defeated by Joe Donnelly by 5 percent in Indiana.

And John Koster, who was quoted in the final days of the election for referring to “that rape thing,” was defeated by Suzan DelBene by 7 percent in Washington.

Perhaps the GOP should outlaw talking about rape in front of TV cameras from this point forward unless it’s to condemn it in the strongest terms possible. Or they could continue referring to it in a dismissive manner and continue losing seats they may otherwise win.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    I have to admit, even though I’m not a resident of her state, the sweetest victory in the congressional races was seeing Tammy Duckworth give deadbeat dad Joe Walsh his pink slip.

  • Cliff Johns

    About Last Night

    For anyone who is confused about what happened last night, (think Sarah Palin and Carl Rove) let’s clear things up. But first, a definition courtesy of Dictionary.com.

    Democracy: Government by the people.

    Some may argue that this definition, applied to America, is too simple. Republic or representative Democracy might be more technically accurate. I would argue that this definition is at once beautiful in its simplicity and powerful in its implication. It is what our founding fathers intended and it is what brave and patriotic Americans have fought and died for throughout our history. Indeed, it is this ideal, so simply expressed, that justifies the description of this 236 year old experiment as the greatest nation on Earth.

    And yet, every election cycle we are lectured about the erosion of American values and what it means to be an American as if the legacy of the generations that came before us is not the right of self-determination. By way of an answer to this strategic scolding, I submit that what happened last night was that ordinary Americans from all walks of life stood up and in one collective voice said, “I am an American and I get to decide what that means!”

    So for clarification, no, America, the American way, American values, the American ideal, Americanism and American exceptionalism didn’t die last night. Quite the contrary, anyone who loves (or claims to love) the Constitution, who loves America and who calls themselves a patriot should see what happened last night as a breathtakingly beautiful expression of that simple definition.

    Disclaimer: I admit that Dictionary.com may be considered liberal by some because it is based mostly on facts and rarely misuses basic grammar in an attempt to seem smarter or more important. However, in fairness to Dictionary.com, I didn’t notice any ‘gotcha questions’ anywhere on the site. So, their inclusion as part of the lame steam media may still be an open question.

    • KanaW

      Even if I hadn’t agreed with the rest of it, I’d’ve ‘liked’ your post for the last paragraph alone.
      Classic. Simply classic.

      I really liked your post but you know that too many on the right can’t admit they lost fair and square or that it was the voice of America that shone through. So they cling to their paranoid delusion that the election is always fixed when they lose and therefore the American way is dead. Sadly the more they repeat this the more people will believe it. Particularly because you can’t convince the paranoid person of anything. No matter what you do or say it only reinforces their belief. Even with elections they have won they dont feel that the election is fair. If they win, they think that somehow, some way they defeated those would kill our system. Long term I hope this crazy ass theory dies along with all the old white men who harbor it.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    What’s even more sweet about Richard Mourdock going down was that this was the guy the Republicans chose to represent them for the Senate seat in Indiana after longtime senator Richard Lugar refused to sign Grover Norquist’s pledge not to raise taxes, and Norquist fought hard to find someone else. This is all on Grover’s furry little head.

  • agrazingmoose

    I am giving the odds that the Rs learn something from this by 2016 at about zero.

    • bphoon

      Oh, I think some of the nearly extinct center-right Republicans may learn from this. The question becomes then, will they grow the balls to act on lessons learned or will they continue to cower in the face of Tea Party/Grover Norquist threats?

    • D_C_Wilson

      They will learn something. It’s just that it’ll be all the wrong lessons, like Romney was too liberal, the election was stolen by ACORN, white people are under siege, etc.