The Worst Show on MSNBC

The other day when I wrote about MSNBC, I mentioned two shows that suck — not because they’re partisan, but because they just suck.

Well, yeah, the Martin Bashir show is unwatchable. For the first year of the show, it was somnambulant nothingness. Since then, it’s become somnambulant and totally hackish. There’s no insight, no scathingly salient points to be made, no news broken.

And this Charles Pierce post is exactly right on.

If MSNBC wants to do progressive chat shows, they need to find more hosts in the Maddow/Harris-Perry/O’Donnell/Klein style. Not hacks who recite prompter material that’s written at roughly the level of high school newspaper op/ed pages — with apologies to high school newspapers. Simply put: there are lots of people who can talk, but very few of them have extensive broadcast and writing experience. Too many pundits are too damn lazy to dig — to do the hard reporting and research that ought to be a prerequisite for political shows.

By the way, if you listen to the podcast at all, you probably know what the other sucky MSNBC show is.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Media and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • JackDaniel07

    Lockup?

  • RilesSD

    It’s gotta be Sharpton, with Ed a close runner-up.

  • roxsteady

    I’m hoping it’s the Cycle. I can’t stand that bitch S.E. Cupp but, I’m guessing it’s Morning Douchebag? By the way, I know I’m alone here but, I actually like Bashir’s show. I get what everyone is saying but, I like his total lack of respect and dismissive attitude towards Republicans. I know it’s not on the level of Rachel, Chris Hayes and Lawrence but, again, I appreciate his utter contempt for Republicans. We have that in common.

  • http://www.facebook.com/kevin.curham Kevin Curham

    I don’t know what you have against Martin Bashir because I think he does a great job. I think the larger problem is that all news is so slanted now that you never really get the full story watching one side or the other.

    I really can’t stand the sanctimonious Cenk Uygur types the most. You know the purists that ignore the right wing and claim more moderate Dems are the problem.

    • http://profiles.google.com/rollotamasi13 Rollo Tamasi

      I agree with you on Bashir. I like him. I think he may be better than his show.

      I also agree on Cenk. He is insufferable.

      • roxsteady

        Both of you are spot on about Cenk. I can’t stand him either. I also really can’t stand Glen Greenwald and Jane Hamsher. These purist idiots are exactly like the wingnuts on the right. Bob was right to label them Firebaggers. I’m also glad that both of them are no longer invited on MSNBC and while I also like Jeremy Schahil, I thought he was disrespectful to Chris Hayes when he invited him on his show and he started trashing MSNBC right there on the show. I’m glad their profiles have been significantly lowered.

        • RilesSD

          Agree. And, I like many of Schahil’s points, and he’s normally pretty good on Real Time, but he seems like he’s going off of the deep end recently.

  • M312

    Anything with S.E. Cupp is the worst thing on television. She is insufferably dumb – sing it to Floyd.

  • caribbeanobserver

    Sorry Bob, but I disagree. Bashir has been great all in the lead up to the election. Rachel- can’t stand the lengthiness of Ms Know-it-all;
    Ed Schultz- haven’t forgiven him for his advice to stay home for 2010 and his swinging pendulums; Cenk Uygur-Yukkity yuk; S.E Cupp (!); Lawrence O’Donnell – quite good most of the times; Chris Matthews -can’t stand the erratic swing from one day to the otheras well as interrupting his guests!
    MSNBC on the whole has lost the plot.

    • M312

      I always laugh when someone complains that Ms. Maddow knows too much.

  • caribbeanobserver

    Oh, please. Melissa wishy washy Perry. Really?! Nah Bobby…you jest!
    And don’t get me started on Ezra flipping Klein!!
    As far as I am concerned all,all these hosts on MSNBC should have once a week shows. They really don’t know what to talk about from one day to another.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Rachel is the only one I would watch on that network.