Republican Tokenism

George Will thinks Marco Rubio will solve the party’s problems.

“During the Republican nominating process, the party turned first to one person and then to another to try and avoid what turned out to be inevitable. If there’s a winner tonight, it’s the Senator from Florida, Marco Rubio because all eyes are now going to be turned to him as a man who might have a way to broaden the demographic appeal of this party.”

Get it? Rubio is Latino!

Will and other party stooges don’t realize that it’s the party’s ideas that piss off Latinos — that and, yes, its white supremacist rhetoric, too. But Rubio voted against the DREAM Act and uses words like “illegals.” But Will thinks Latinos will ignore the policy and rhetoric and will simply vote for anyone who looks like them. Cynical tokenism.

  • JackDaniel07

    Steele wept.

  • JackDaniel07

    I knew Romney should have gone Level 6 spray tan for the Univision discussion…curse the aid that stopped him at “Southern Californian” when he was *that* close to “Tijuanan”

  • Lazarus Durden

    It thought this was totally something else. Tokenism… I thought the GOP had all become Peter Tosh fans. ;)

  • Lazarus Durden

    On a serious note: This is part and parcel of the denial stage. Although you had some GOP surrogates calling for legitimate change (Man I don’t know if that word will ever escape the Akin taint) most of them were talking about changes in marketing their ideas. Not the substance of them, but how to sell them. So for hacks like George Will you change the spokes model but not the product itself. “Hey our toys are still covered in lead based paint from China but now we have Carlos Mencia pitching them! Don’t you want them now Hispanics?!?”

    Brilliant.

    • JackDaniel07

      Akin taint? Damn you!

    • D_C_Wilson

      The five stages of republican grief:

      1. Denial
      2. Anger
      3. Anger
      4. Anger
      5. Draft the articles of impeachment.

  • bphoon

    Tokenism is what they do: Ryan in the soup kitchen. Romney and Ryan staring at a Wendy’s menu board like it’s the first time they’ve ever seen one. Allen West. George H. W. Bush: “Message: I care.” Sharon Angel, Christine O’Donnell. Megyn Kelly. Micheal Steele. Sandra Day O’Conner. Ryan: “But the best thing to help prevent violent crime…is to help teach people good discipline, good character.” And, yes, Marco Rubio.

  • KanaW

    But Will thinks Latinos will ignore the policy and rhetoric and will simply vote for anyone who looks like them.

    Maybe because that’s what so many in the RW do? Who knows?

    Will and, indeed, almost all conservatives cannot, by their very mental makeup, view things from the perspective of anywhere but inside their own heads. A mindset that adheres to a “Will Note Vote For Black/Brown/Yellow/Red” automatically assumes that inside the heads of other ‘races’, one simply replaces the other ‘race’ with White.

    So, given a choice, Brown people “Will Note Vote For Black/White/Yellow/Red”, Black people “Will Note Vote For White/Brown/Yellow/Red”, and so on.

      This also holds true with gender. See Palin, Sarah

      • http://twitter.com/kerryreid Kerry Reid

        Seriously. I don’t think the GOP has come to terms with the fact that putting that nincompoop on the ticket as the GOP answer to Hillary Clinton just managed to further piss off a lot of women. Today there is a piece in the Times where the GOPers are trying to figure out why this gender gap exists. Oh my, how could it be? Again, they don’t understand that their POLICIES (which have moved even further backward to the point where they are attacking contraception, for god’s sake) are the problem — not the players.

        Also, sneeringly equating the war on women with a war on “caterpillars” isn’t helpful. Enjoy the new crop of Democratic “caterpillars” in the Senate, boys.

  • muselet

    Will and other party stooges don’t realize that it’s the party’s ideas that piss off Latinos — that and, yes, its white supremacist rhetoric, too.

    George Will (well, Righties and Republican apologists generally) subscribe to the Great Man Theory of History: history isn’t about the struggles of all those grubby common people, history is all about The Great Man who comes on the scene at The Critical Moment and Makes Things Happen. This explains the hagiography surrounding Ronald Reagan; it also explains the Righty contempt for so much of the population (those people can’t be important). Well, plus the only brown-skinned folks they know are their gardeners.

    Hilariously, the Republican Party has already shot itself in the foot over Latinos, and within living memory: California’s Proposition 187, which made the GOP about as popular among Latinos here as anthrax. I guess the national party didn’t get the memo.

    –alopecia

    EDITED because without the bolded word, the sentence makes no sense. Verbs, people! They’re there for a reason! Egads …

  • http://twitter.com/FritzEcokoehn ekonokoehn

    Well, Rubio is Cuban and the Miami Cuban populace tend to have political characteristics from other latinos. Also, thinking a Cuban can solve your problems with all latinos could be dangerous…especially with the Puerto Rico 51st state thing pending out there…

    • Nanotyrannus

      About the Puerto Rico 51st state thing… I can’t wait to see the many and wondrous ways they try to pitch their racism on that one. Can you imagine the meetings before a Fox News segment? “Ok. So… how do we say ‘We’re going to need you to be more… white’ while making it sound like we don’t hate coloreds?”

      Maybe Rubio could at least win back the Cuban vote for them, seeing as how they lost it this year.

  • RilesSD

    Rubio, the guy who had to lie about his parents immigration from Cuba to make himself seem more legit? Yeah, that won’t come up during an election campaign.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/marco-rubios-compelling-family-story-embellishes-facts-documents-show/2011/10/20/gIQAaVHD1L_story.html

  • D_C_Wilson

    Looks like many are now looking at Marco Rubio as their Last Great Hope.

    http://mediamatters.org/video/2012/11/08/rush-cubans-arent-popular-in-the-overall-hispan/191273