U.S. Military Considered Blowing Up the Moon

I thought this was a joke, but it’s not. CBS News reports:

During the height of the Cold War, U.S. officials debated whether to detonate nuclear bomb on the moon in order to send a message to the Soviet Union, the Asian News International reports.

The secret project dubbed, “A Study of Lunar Research Flights” and nicknamed “Project A119,” was seriously being considered until it was scrapped because military officials were worried it would hurt the people on Earth.

Holy hell. I’ve always thought America lost its shpadoinkle after 9/11, but it turns out we lost our shpadoinkle after World War II and remained insane for quite a long time.

Also, Bob Odenkirk and David Cross totally called it:

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Nuclear Weapons and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • zirgar

    I once shot a fart rocket out of my moon, but I suppose that’s okay.

  • Ipecac

    Yeah, wouldn’t there be a decent chance that the thousands (millions?) of tons of debris blasted off the surface of the moon might make it to Earth and, if not survive falling to the surface, possibly screw up satellites or manned spacecraft in orbit? Space is big of course, but there has to be a decent possibility that this stunt would horribly backfire.

  • zirgar

    ERMAHGERD! It’s Space:1999! The moon will be blasted from its orbit to go galavanting about the universe in a weekly cycle of cosmic fun and wacky galactic hijinks.

  • Draxiar

    I couldn’t help but think of this cartoon…

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhAobPugvsk

    • Ipecac

      It’s hilarious that when the runaway planet cracks the moon in two, it also steals all the Earth’s clouds. The atmosphere seems to have survived, but all the clouds go away.

    • Lazarus Durden

      Bah! Beat me to it. Kudos!

    • D_C_Wilson

      Damn, I loved that cartoon.

    I can’t believe they would even consider such a thing….they knew way back then that Moon affects some really, really important things like the tides, the rotation of the earth, shielding us from space crap. I mean, just how stupid could anyone possibly be?

    • zirgar

      I guess the thinking was, “Just to be safe: if we can’t have it, nobody can.”

    • D_C_Wilson

      Well, let’s be realistic. A single nuclear device wouldn’t do more than create a new crater. It wouldn’t knock the moon out of orbit or anything like that.

  • mrbrink

    I probably think about a Mr. Show sketch at least once every two or three days.

    They’re there. They’re not going anywhere.