Unskewed Dean Chambers Blames Me for Nate Silver Attack

This was a bit of a shocker. Several weeks ago, Dean Chambers famously attacked Nate Silver in an Examiner.com article:

Nate Silver is a man of very small stature, a thin and effeminate man with a soft-sounding voice that sounds almost exactly like the “Mr. New Castrati” voice used by Rush Limbaugh on his program. In fact, Silver could easily be the poster child for the New Castrati in both image and sound.

And yesterday, Chambers wrote a second post in which he blamed this ad hominem rant against Silver on something I wrote about Chambers. Yes, me.

While I make absolutely no excuses for my inappropriate comments in that article, I will mention this which was my motivation for writing them. Again, I make no excuses whatsoever, I want that to be clear. I only mention this to provide context.

In this article about me and the UnSkewedPolls.com web site, on some web site called “The Daily Banter” whatever that is, I was described this way by the author of the article, Bob Cesca, writing about me and judging me by only one picture of me he saw, because I”ve never personally met Mr. Cesca…

Yes, I referred to Chambers as “portly.” The horror! However, I was attempting to describe the total contrast between Chambers and Silver. Chambers, I wrote, is the “Bizarro Nate Silver,” a reference to the Bizarro Superman character who’s exactly the opposite of Superman in every way. That’s Chambers. Elaborating, I wrote that Silver, among other complimentary things, is “a skinny New Yorker who’s devised astonishingly accurate forecasting models for both sports and politics.” Conversely, Chambers is a “a portly Southern amateur who thinks he’s uncovered a widespread polling scam when, in fact, he’s merely stripped out any and all accuracy or calculated methodology and just, you know, made stuff up.” Etc, etc, etc.

Odd that Chambers would retaliate against Silver for something that I wrote.

Whatever. None of it changes the fact that Chambers was wrong about everything because he was in total denial about math, reality and his candidate’s flailing campaign — indicative of the broader contra-reality crisis within the Republican Party.

  • agrazingmoose

    My dog insulted me, so I ate my homework.

    • JackDaniel07

      BWAHAHAHAH

  • Ned F

    He’s got a point. Maybe you should apologize for calling him portly and just go with bloviating, know-nothing windbag instead.

  • i_am_allwrite

    Bob: Dean Chambers is a fat, lying douchebag.
    Dean: Nate’s a fag! And I’m not fat.

  • zirgar

    What do you call the empty spaces between right wingers’ ears? Dean chambers.

  • zirgar

    Oh, and for the record, Cesca, if that’s your REAL name, you called me a bastard on Twitter last week. Of course, “magnificent” was in front of it, but that’s beside the point. You have a problem with name calling, accurate though those names may be, mister.

  • Nefercat

    Silly Dean. Bob was gracious enough to call him by the gentleman’s fat word!

    Portly; so genteel!

    Bob could have called him a doughy lardass.

  • missliberties

    Petty.

    You can’t buy your way into a zombie Romney win by changing the math.

    Of course all of this makes Obama’s win just that much more savory.

  • Zasta_Krockett

    So what did the unskewed polls guy say to the fact that he was dead wrong and his entire theory of skewed polls was utter bullshit?

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Conservatives have this peculiar way of thinking, wherein whatever name-calling they engage in is justified by whatever name-calling they have heard, read or found from anyone on the “left.” You know, “Where was your outrage when Bill Maher called Sarah Palin a c**t? Huh?? Huh??!!?!!”

    Not that this is necessarily unique to “conservatives,” meaning GOP fans. I think a lot of people unconsciously treat everyone from the “other side” as if they’re responsible for anything and everything that anyone and everyone on that “side” may have “said” at any given time in the past. I try sometimes to remind GOP fans when I get into arguments with them that I never said whatever it is they think “you libs” said, and that I will explain, answer and take responsibility for what I have said, not what some random abstract imaginary entity called “you libs” said.

    But I do the same thing sometimes when I talk to and about Tea Party people. I asscribe statements, thoughts, feelings and ideas to the Tea Party as if it were a singular person and I probably shouldn’t do that. I try to qualify such statements with phrasing like, “from what I have seen,” or “in the aggregate,” or “in general,” or “for the most part,” or “what I perceive,” or with qualifying descriptors like “typically” or “largely.”

    But that’s not quite the point. The point is that we let ourselves and others get away with saying ugly things because we think or believe that some other random person said some ugly thing about someone we like or identify with, and that justifies whatever we say and negates any and all criticism thereof. This is childish and stupid. Ugly rhetoric won’t go away if we all declare ourselves immune to criticism for using it.

    • bphoon

      I like what you said but keep in mine, also, that projection is a trademark of the right wing and has been for years. It is the rare winger who will admit to–and take responsibility for–any error no matter how slight. Witness the bullshit being spewed by Limbaugh, Rove, O’Reilly et al.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Oscar-Jimison/100001431764474 Oscar Jimison

    How dare Bob conclude that Chambers is “portly” just by looking at a picture of him? You need to know someone for years before you can determine that kind of thing.

    • JackDaniel07

      hahaha I love how he implies that he went all CarrotTop since that “one” picture.

      “The camera adds 10 pounds ya know”
      “How many cameras were on you??”
      (best Friends line ever)

  • Treading_Water

    That’s the problem with Teapublicans. They follow the Bush Doctrine of choosing the wrong target to retaliate against.

  • JoyP

    Geez, Dean, labels hurt, don’t they? I love it when bullies cry.

  • Brutlyhonest

    Is there nothing these tough guys from the party of personal responsibility aren’t afraid of, won’t whine about, or blame someone else for?

    • zirgar

      BINGO!

  • Treading_Water

    Dean’s next project is UnskewedVote.com, where he shows that by only counting the votes of “real Americans” (angry old white men) Mitt Romney really won and is the president of Unskewed America.

  • zirgar

    UNSKEW THE UNSKEWING! …And so it begins…

    This comment thread made me laugh and laugh. Thanks, everyone.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Way to crawl inside that pantload’s skin and irritate him, Bob. I salute you, good sir!

  • mrbrink

    That guy’s skewed website looks like a John Wayne Gacy portrait of the news. I’m embarrassed for him that he ever considered himself an equal at the table of reality.

    I’m glad he found you, Bob. Because that post you wrote was like an intervention. You may have positively altered the space time continuum. Like staving off the zombie apocalypse by forcing Dean Chambers to start his own line of a-political workout tapes.