Voter ID “Absolutely” Would Have Delivered Wisconsin

On the subject of voter suppression we have a moment of clarity from the former co-chair of Mitt Romney’s Wisconsin campaign lamenting their lack of voter ID.

Voter ID “absolutely” would have made a difference in the outcome of the election, state Sen. Alberta Darling (R) told Mike Gousha of WISN on Sunday. She suggested that voter fraud helped President Barack Obama win the state.

“We’re looking at all sorts of different precincts and all sorts of same-day registrations,” Darling said. “I know people will go, ‘We don’t have fraud and abuse in our elections.’ But why, why can’t we have voter ID when the majority of our people in Wisconsin wanted it, we passed it, the governor signed it? Why should one judge in Dane County be able to hold it up?”

First of all, if you’re audibly and visually depressed because more citizens were allowed to register and vote on the same day therefor participating in the democratic process, you are un-American.

To answer Darling’s question, the answer is because not everything should be left to popular vote, and in the case of Wisconsin’s voter ID law, it was deemed unconstitutional.

Dane County Circuit Judge Richard G. Niess ruled that requiring otherwise eligible voters to show a government-issued photo ID before being allowed to cast their vote was an “unconstitutional burden.”

In several cases across the country, voter ID laws were merely struck down for the purposes of the November election because states could not prove that they would be ready, leaving the door open for voter ID laws to make a return for future elections.

I expect voter suppression tactics that surface over the next four years will be more ambitious and egregious than anything we’ve previously seen.

(h/t Rockville Criminal Defense Attorney Kush Arora)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Voter Suppression and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • bphoon

    Voter ID “absolutely” would have made a difference in the outcome of the election, state Sen. Alberta Darling (R) told Mike Gousha of WISN on Sunday. She suggested that voter fraud helped President Barack Obama win the state.

    So, Sen. Darling, would you care to offer any actual evidence to back up your statement? No? Gee, I wonder why? Could it be that there isn’t any?

    These folks seem to think that, like on so many other issues, we should buy into their claims of massive in-person voter fraud simply because they say it’s so. Even when there is no evidence whatsoever to back up their claims, they keep on saying the same things thinking, apparently, that sooner or later they’re bound to be true. Or, on the other hand, by endlessly repeating themselves, they figure they’ll be able to wear us down and we’ll eventually throw up our hands and give up.

    So, Sen, Darling: Why, why can’t President Obama just be President when the majority of our people in America voted for him, we re-elected him, he’ll be inaugurated again?

    • muselet

      Evidence doesn’t enter into it. Voter fraud is an article of faith.

      –alopecia

      EDITED for clarity.

  • Ned F

    A way to solve this would be to issue a national ID to all citizens on their 18th birthday, but somehow I don’t expect any of these people like Darling to go for it. I mean, we used to require all men to register for the military draft at 18, and everyone born here is issued a number at birth, so don’t cry about big brother over a national ID. But that would defeat the purpose of voter ID in reality.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Obama won Wisconsin by about 200,000 votes.

    So, was that 200,000 people who voted twice or one person who voted 200,001 times?

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Is this what those who fought for our freedoms in two world wars and elsewhere wanted? To let douchenozzles like Alberta Darling try and supress people the right to vote in a democracy that was fought with blood to preserve?