What’s Wrong With Florida? Part 2

It’s now early evening on Thursday and Florida is still counting votes.

Asked why it has taken this long to reach a final result, state election officials say they simply weren’t prepared.

Officials attribute the delay to a combination of record turnout — seven in 10 Floridians voted — and long lines that had many voters waiting late into the night. Combine that with a shorter early-voting period and a long ballot, and the state was ill-equipped to process the results in a timely manner of what was expected to be a close contest. […]

According to the Orlando Sentinel, four counties were still counting ballots Thursday: Broward, Duval, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach. Combine that with a 36 hour delay in tallying up absentee ballots and the state is far behind in making a final determination.

The Miami Herald is reporting that the Romney campaign has all but conceded the race, acknowledging that the numbers are unlikely to add up in their favor.

“The numbers in Florida show this was winnable,” Brett Doster, Florida advisor for Romney, said in a statement to The Miami Herald. “We thought based on our polling and range of organization that we had done what we needed to win. Obviously, we didn’t, and for that I and every other operative in Florida has a sick feeling that we left something on the table. I can assure you this won’t happen again.”

As of this time President Obama is maintaining his lead in the state and looks poised to win its 29 electoral votes, bringing his total number of electoral votes to 332.

Personally I believe the margin would not be as slim as it currently stands if early voting had not been restricted and if people were not forced to wait in line until nearly 2 a.m. to cast their votes on the night of the election.

From where I’m sitting, this all appears to be part of the plan to suppress voters. State Republicans threw virtually everything they had at this election, from restricted early voting, to conducting voter roll purges.

Fortunately it didn’t work, and Republicans seemingly underestimated the determination of President Obama’s supporters. A theme played out in polls and projections made across the country by very serious people who were confident that Democrats would not turn out to vote.

  • kushiro -

    You really should give people more notice when you’re having an election.

    • Nefercat

      Yeah, how could the election officials be expected to know how long the ballots would be, or that turnout would likely be up for a hotly contested presidential election.

      And really, is there any rhyme or reason as to when these elections happen?

  • BuffaloBuckeye

    I had lunch last Friday with a vey consevative friend. He asked how I thought the election would go. I told him it would go one of three ways; 1) not likely, but possible narrow romney victory; 2) possible narrow Obama victory, or 3) very likely Obama landslide due to voters being really pissed off at GOP attempts to restrict voting.

    As election drew nearer, I felt more confident of Obama win, since I was getting more frequent ‘Fwd’ emails denigrating the President; I felt some a growing desperation in his tone.

    Right now I’m fired up, ready to go.

    • D_C_Wilson

      What’s amazing is how many conservatives were genuinely surprised that Romney lost. I’m not just talking about Rove and others on Fox. Look at the commentators at Breitbart.com or World Nut Daily. Look at “serious” people like Peggy Noonan and Charles Krauthammer. Even when Romney had a slight lead in the national polls after the first debate, there was no evidence in the state polls that he could won enough swing states to get 270 electoral votes.

      They truly believed that their gut feelings would triumph over math and reality.

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    Rick Scott is a criminal through & through and should be in jail, not in the Governor’s mansion.

  • http://www.facebook.com/samella.williams Samella Williams

    Rick Scott and his henchmen are in a secret location trying to figure out how to change the election results to Mitt.

    • kushiro -

      At the same time they’re working with Ohio and Virginia to overturn those results as well, y’know, because of how Obama couldn’t possibly win without them.

  • ranger11

    Enthusiasm gap!

  • Ellen Kuhlmann

    registered voters voting? who could have predicted that. . . Florida is a disgrace, and Floridians should demand reforms.

  • agrazingmoose

    How do you know that it didn’t work? The results could be more favorable for the Ds than they already are and we don’t know.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Rick Scott tried to fuck things over, and failed. Now say hello to your new cellmate, Mohammed the Merciless, Gov. Voldermort.

  • bphoon

    So, this is, what–the third or fourth time we’ve heard about long (or confusing) ballots and higher than expected turn out? Florida’s only problem is this: rank incompetence. Simple as that.

    As for higher than expected Democratic turn out, I heard both Ed Rendell and Rev Al on MSNBC today describing how, during visits to predominantly African-American areas in the days before the election, people were angry at efforts to suppress their vote and were determined to cast a ballot no matter what they had to do. I think this was proven by the egregiously long waits people chose to endure in order to cast ballots.

    You really gotta want to vote to stand in line eight hours until 2AM to do so.

  • ranger11

    Hey, at least Floridians have given Obama its electoral votes for two straight elections. North Carolina…we’re laughing at you!