What’s Wrong With Florida?

It’s nearly 6 p.m. the next day, the president is on his way back to the White House, Romney is on his way back to wherever it is he goes, and Florida is still officially considered too close to call because they still haven’t finished counting votes.

With the presidential race settled but Florida still too close to call, Miami-Dade was still waiting Wednesday afternoon for final results.

On Wednesday afternoon, elections workers continued feeding thousands of pages of ballots into scanning machines — and they were not expected to finish until the evening, leaving a much-mocked blank spot on the long decided electoral map.

Earlier in the day, the county said 20,000 absentee ballots still needed to be counted. The office of Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez issued a news release insisting that the “unprecedented length of the ballot” represents “over 100,000 pages that need to be reviewed and verified, one by one.”

This electoral tomfoolery rests completely on the shoulders of Florida election officials, the Secretary of State, and Governor Rick Scott.

If there’s anyone we should not blame for it, it’s Florida voters who, according to the Communications Director for Florida’s Secretary of State, waited in line until almost 2 a.m. last night to vote.

If you waited in line until almost 2 a.m., especially after the president was already declared the victor almost three hours earlier, I salute you. But after offering my praises, I have to ask what the hell is wrong with Florida?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    They don’t call it Flori-Duh for nothing.

  • gescove

    I’m taking President Obama at his word… “By the way, we need to fix that.”

  • eljefejeff

    I blame the voters. They’re the fools who elected Governor Voldemort and 2 Bushes

    • ranger11

      I voted for Sink. She almost won.

  • Clancy

    The problem here isn’t with Florida, specifically Miami-Dade, but the arbiters of who “won” the state: the large media outlets like the AP and CNN being too gun shy after the 2000 election to actually suck it up and declare Obama the winner. (Depending on the state, “official” results usually take two to four weeks before being certified.)

    According to this article, Miami-Dade has only 20,000 ballots left to count, however Obama has a 50,000-60,000 vote lead, depending on the news outlet reporting the results. If these are the sole outstanding ballots, then what exactly are they waiting for before they declare Florida for Obama? Perhaps there are more ballots floating around out there that make the difference more relevant, such as absentee or provisional ballots. Who knows?

    • KanaW

      If the final total goes the ‘wrong’ way, I’m sure the PTB in Florida will manage to ‘find’ a few more boxes. /snark

  • bphoon

    …what the hell is wrong with Florida?

    According to my son who lives there and has followed this much closer than I have, it’s one thing: rank incompetence.

    • agrazingmoose

      That sounds about right.

    • nathkatun7

      Your son told the TRUTH! We in California have millions more voters than Florida and we have no trouble counting votes. Besides, I doubt any one in CA waited for hours and hours to vote. I took me less than 15 minutes to vote probably because there were more polling places opened than there were four years ago.

      • bphoon

        That Florida can’t seem to get it right after being under such scrutiny for so many election cycles is astounding. One reason my son gives for the absurdly long lines at many polling places is that as people check in to vote, poll workers have to print each ballot. Each polling location has but one printer to use. That is a huge choke point,especially in densely populated areas like Miami-Dade and Broward counties. As for early voting, each county had only one location–with one printer to use.

        I lived in CA for seven years. My polling place was about a 15 second walk from my doorstep. More importantly, the state spends the money to print and distribute probably the most comprehensive non-partisan voter guide around. It gives candidates the opportunity to state their case and explains in detail ballot initiatives and Constitutional proposals so the voters can be well-informed prior to going to vote.

        I live in Kansas now. Fewer polling places, less trained and knowledgeable poll workers, new Voter ID laws, one early voting location in a county of ~200,000 and no voter guide. I follow the news but I had no idea there was a Constitutional question on the ballot until I turned the thing over while voting.

        The contrast is striking.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    What the hell is wrong with Florida? Two words: Rick Scott!

  • priscianusjr

    Apart from the unexpectedly large turnout and legendary incompetence, FL does have to be careful. Yes, Obama won FL, but the margin is pretty close — last night, with nearly all votes counted, it was Obama 49.91 to Romney 49.36 — only a little more than .5%. So the only question is, exactly how close? If it should turn out to be .5% or less, it triggers a mandatory recount. That’s why they need to finish counting before announcing.

  • http://www.facebook.com/samella.williams Samella Williams

    FL is aking so long to call FL because Rick Scott and his lawyers are in a backroom somewhere trying to figure out how to throw the state and the election to Mitt.

    • D_C_Wilson

      No one has the heart to tell Governor Gollum that we managed to resolve the election without FL this time?

  • hanadora444

    Ever check out the “Fark” news site? Every day they feature a sizeable bunch of weird or otherwise noteable news stories with labels such as “asinine” “cool” “dumbass” and “Florida.” The only state to be so honored. And, once again, in this election season, Florida demonstrates why it deserves the honor.

  • 1933john

    Try holdouts from the Civil War that reside north of a line between
    St. Petersburg and Melbourne. To the south are mostly Carpetbaggers.