Worst Person in the World

John Metz, the Florida businessman who runs 48 Hurricane Grill & Wings locations, 40 Denny’s locations, and several Dairy Queen locations has a message for customers attending his restaraunts in the future; it’s okay to tip your waiter less.

John Metz said he will add a 5 percent surcharge to customers’ bills to offset what he said are the increased costs of Obamacare, along with reducing his employees’ hours.

“If I leave the prices the same, but say on the menu that there is a 5 percent surcharge for Obamacare, customers have two choices. They can either pay it and tip 15 or 20 percent, or if they really feel so inclined, they can reduce the amount of tip they give to the server, who is the primary beneficiary of Obamacare,” Metz told The Huffington Post. “Although it may sound terrible that I’m doing this, it’s the only alternative. I’ve got to pass the cost on to the consumer.”

Personally I’m okay with paying slightly more if it means everyone is better off, but advising your customers that they can tip their servers less to punish them for benefiting from Obamacare is crossing an ugly line. It’s reprehensible and infuriating.

If it weren’t for tips, servers wouldn’t have much of a paycheck at all. Servers are paid below your average minimum wage precisely because they receive tips. And John Metz says tip your server less money because they’re moochers and leeches. Because they’re the takers and you’re the makers!

To make matters worse, Metz also claims he’s going to cut employee hours so he doesn’t have to cover their healthcare. Meaning he’s planning to raise prices and cut costs at the same time. Meaning he’s a greedy, two-timing asshole.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Worst Persons and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    You know, it’s funny. I’ve spent the last few years lamenting how the GOP’s complaints about The Job Creators™ being “on strike” because of Regulations™ and Uncertainty™ was actually rather insulting to American businesspeople. What they were basically saying was that American businesspeople are too stupid and incompetent to do business and comply with the law at the same time, or to anticipate and adjust to changes in the law; that they are cowards who are afraid of the law, afraid of changes in the law, and afraid of taking risks; that they are too immature and emotionally fragile to do business when politicians and public figures say things about them; and that we can and should expect them to respond in childish, petty, vindictive ways if they are not appeased by the politicians and the public.

    Guess they had it right after all.

  • Scopedog

    To paraphrase Dolemite:

    “That no business-born insecure junkyard muthaf**ka!!!”

    Seriously….can’t the MSM just call these morons out?

  • kushiro -

    So he’s charging people more to cover the healthcare that he won’t have to pay for because he’s cutting staff hours?

    Makes perfect sense. Carry on.

  • http://doran.pacifist.net/ Doran

    I’m sure wingnuts will swarm the place, praise the guy as an American hero, and then leave, purposely stiffing the waitstaff. Because, you know, FREEDOM!

    This is really reprehensible. It’s not just selfish and assholish though….it’s a message to the public. See you re-elected Obama so now we’re going to punish you. Metz, you are truly a piece of shit. I hope all of your employees quit en masse.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Rob-Fairman/1507058515 Rob Fairman

    I wonder if this guy dares to eat in his own restaurants?

    • gescove

      He’d probably get served a nice slice of chocolate pie a la “The Help”. Make that two slices.

    • muselet

      “Okay, Mr. Metz, here’s your snotcho appetizer. I’ll be right back with your glass of iced … well, let’s agree to call it tea.”

      –alopecia

  • rob black

    Smart business owners keep their mouths shut and their political leanings to themselves.
    Florida elected Obama, which implies half of their population supports his healthcare plan.
    My guess is that half also occasionally eats out.
    Vote with your diner dollars Florida. The staff at these businesses work for a vindictive, greedy asshole. They will be better off finding jobs at places that are owned by decent human beings.
    Perhaps some locally owned, non franchised, establishments.
    All of these “food barons” need to be reminded that they are not operating some Gettyesque monopolies, there are other choices.
    …..and Holy crap…..Denny’s and Dairy Queen? Boycott them. Do your part to prolong your stay in “Heavens waiting room”….

    P.S. ..another idea, since most of these are publicly traded corporations (many are owned by franchise groups as well)….dump their stock.

    PZZA .. Papa Johns
    DRI Dardens
    Idine Hurricane ect…
    Denn Dennys

    • ninjaf

      He doesn’t think the “more than half ” who voted for President Obama go out to eat. He assumes they are all Takers.

  • gescove

    The right wing has truly become unhinged. Romney’s gift comments. Ryan’s “urban voter” comments. CEOs punishing their employees because of the election results. Secession petitions being circulated. Talk of fraud, illegitimacy, nullification, and insurrection. Calls for continued obstruction. Is it just me or is this level of incoherent nonsense unprecedented?

      It’s not just you. They’re a bunch of big babies. They’re also fucking well despicable human beings!

  • moofus

    there’s a Chic-fil-a problem here – Dad winters in Florida, I go visit, Hurricane’s is right around the corner. Their wings are pretty darn good, i’d be hard pressed to boycott them. /sigh

    • bphoon

      I don’t think I’d have a problem. There are certainly more places to eat in FL than Hurricanes. Even some that have some pretty darn good wings.

      Let’s see..

      awesome wings v. my own integrity……….

      NO contest.

    • muselet

      It shouldn’t be too hard to find out which locations John Metz own and avoid them.

    … he’s a greedy, two-timing asshole.

    X5.

    I know jobs are relatively scarce but nobody I know has had a problem finding a job waiting tables if they’re really motivated to. For crissakes, people, unass these dead-end jobs and find a decent human being to work for.

  • Zen Diesel

    Did his costs suddenly increase, on November 6, 2012, at approximately 11:15 pm EST, lol? What a fucking fraud!!!!

  • Brutlyhonest

    Every time you think these asshats have hit the bottom as human beings, they start digging deeper.

  • D_C_Wilson

    In fairness, we should note that the handful of businesses who are being assholes about the election are getting all the attention. The majority that aren’t cutting hours or laying off people aren’t being noticed at all.

  • muselet

    And Metz expresses hope that his plan will “inspire employees rather than alienate them.”

    Oh, it’ll inspire them, all right.

    –alopecia

  • LK3

    If only Obamacare could heal being a douche.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    When the revolution comes, disdainful scum like John Metz will be one of the first ones to get sawed in half from the nutsack to the head.

  • priscianusjr

    Maybe we can just refrain from patronizing your establishments, Mr. Metz. That way everybody will suffer until you get the message. It’s in your hands.

  • SmilingSmartBlonde

    I’m going to make sure this goes viral, here in Florida.

  • laprofe63

    Restaurant work is some of the worst in the country with low wages the norm and an excessively common practice of overtime-wage violations (making people work “off the clock”). Frequently workers in the industry have no sick days, and in general suffer a terrible lack of benefits. So, I guess it’s not really that surprising that the restaurant industry is deeply resentful of this societal demand to start treating their employees like actual human beings.