Worst Person in the World

129 Bangladeshis were recently killed after a fire tore through a factory that crafted garments for Wal-Mart. And to most people this would be a horrible thought, but to Fox Business host Charles Payne, these are just the growing pains of capitalism.

Don’t think that the people in Bangladesh who perished didn’t want or need those jobs, as well. I know we like to victimize everyone in this country, particularly when it comes to for-profit motivation, which is being assaulted. But, you know, it is a tragedy but I think it is a stretch, an amazing stretch, to sort of try to pin this on Walmart. [...]

Walmart had its problems and they have come a long way and I think they will continue to do well and improve in any area that they can. I’m not here as an apologist for Wal-Mart, but I am here as something of a spokesperson for capitalism and the American dream and I think for a lot of people this is a step in the right direction.

How dare we question the moral value of the for-profit motive or view people who burned to death in a corporate sweat shop as victims.

Charles Payne obviously couldn’t give less of a shit about 129 people burning to death while sowing cheap junk for Wal-Mart in a factory that, according to ThinkProgress, had “no functioning extinguishers, locked the exits, and employed managers who told factory workers to go back to their stations when the fire alarm went off.”

And here I thought the American dream had something to do with ballgames and barbecues in the suburbs with two kids and a dog, not burning to death in a factory that manufactures cheap crap for Americans.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Worst Persons and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    Maybe the different between today’s GOP fans and non-GOP fans can be summed up thusly:

    GOP fans believe that money is more important than people. Non-GOP fans believe that people are more important than money.

    I wrote a number of times earlier this year about the election being a determiner of whether we are to be a nation of people or a nation of money. Taking care of and protecting people costs money; taking care of and protecting money sometimes costs people. [where "people" is the direct object, not the indirect object, of "costs"]

    Someone on Facebook this morning, a friend of a friend whom I don’t know, remarked that all those companies that are screwing their employees out of health care are simply “making rational business decisions” in the face of “government mandates,” a course of action of which “you people [meaning Obama voters] were warned.” Were I inclined to respond (which I’m not because I don’t do politics on Facebook), I might have argued that abject cruelty is never rational. Had he responded that doing this was not cruel because the employees deserve nothing and are entitled to nothing, I would argue that hurting people for no reason except to save a few bucks is by definition an act of cruelty, no matter what you think the victims deserve or are entitled to.

    Clearly the GOP, in becoming essentially the Ferengi party, believes this is a nation of money. The Democrats, being hew-mon, still believe this is a nation of people.

    • Brutlyhonest

      Shorter version I use for my shorter attention span: Greed & Selfishness.

      Also for Mr. Payne, maybe we should go back to slavery to help the profit margins. Asshat.

      • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000452117431 Phil Hopson

        Agreed. When discussing corporations, I usually prefer the “profits over people” statement. Republicans seem to worship money and wealth thinking it will solve all their problems. People solve problems – money doesn’t. Boycott Walmart!!

    • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_SBL64RBDUTDTYXXDUNRMCUW2XY MaikeH

      GOP — Ferengi without the lobes.

      • GrafZeppelin127

        Heh. I kept waiting for Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich or Karl Rove or somebody to say of President Obama, “He doesn’t have the lobes for business.”

        Also, Ferengi are more likeable, by several orders of magnitude.

    • MrDHalen

      This is the foundation for breaking down Republicans in any debate and they hate it when you make them finally face what they are and what they value most.

      Watching them hit the wall when they’re hit with People vs. Money choice is great; and then they try to change the subject and muddy the clarity again.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Benghazi!

        Actually, their reaction to Benghazi is a perfect illustration of how little they value people. Ask any conservative to name one of the three men killed besides Amb. Stephens. They won’t be able to because they don’t care. The four people killed in Benghazi are not important to them. All that matters is that it’s something they can try to hit Obama over the head with.

    • Nefercat

      “GOP fans believe that money is more important than people.” You are so, so right.

      This was on full display during the campaign and the 47% discussion. Somehow it was accepted by everyone that the GOP framing of the debate was appropriate; that the issue was whether or not someone paid taxes. We were told we all had to have “skin in the game.” We all had to pay at least a token to be a contributing citizen, and on and on and on.

      The response was to defend people who paid many other taxes, which is a of course a necessary response, but not a complete one. I thought another point to be made, was, who decided that money is the only way to contribute to this country? People with money, perhaps? Who could now point accusatory fingers at those without?

      What about the people who volunteer for their schools, churches, hospitals, nursing homes, communities, who help their friends, neighbors, and families, who serve the government in any number of ways, paid and volunteer, who do these things after retirement, or when disabled or poor? Are they not contributing to this country? How dare anyone for one second be allowed to say that they “don’t have skin in the game”, or that they need to step up and take responsibility for themselves?

      We have to take back the framing of these essential questions and answers, and show the moral bankruptcy of today’s GOP for what it is.

  • Draxiar

    “Are there no workhouses…are there no prisons?”

    I’m waiting to hear him say that the fire simply decreased the surplus population in Bangladesh.

    • MiddleMittenLiberal

      Maybe they should look his office door when the fire breaks out (I’m sure that he would approve)….

  • Username1016

    Can you say “Triangle Shirtwaist Factory”?

    Growing pains of capitalism, indeed — this is the stage where ordinary people get COMPLETELY OUTRAGED at the capitalists, and kick up a fuss resulting in safety regulations. Here’s hoping that’s what happens this time.

    • GrafZeppelin127

      It’s ironic, really. For all the braying about fear of Communism™, these folks are hell-bent on creating the precise conditions that lead to communist revolutions in the first place.

      • bphoon

        You have to believe in history before you can learn from history.

        • MrDHalen

          Just Awesome!!!

  • MiddleMittenLiberal

    Oops–too quick on the draw. Should be LOCK (not look!).

  • MiddleMittenLiberal

    Sorry, that should be LOCK (not look).

  • zirgar

    Yeah, that’s right. It’s just growing pains for the capitalist free market system. So what if you have to poach a few eggs before you get the desired result! That’s life, baby. Keep at it! Don’t stop shoveling the bodies and souls of poor, vulnerable developing nations’ citizenery into the gaping, fiery maw of the god of greed and excess! Excelsior!

  • trgahan

    Now make him go to Bangladesh and tell all the familes that without an armed escort.

    “Your fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters experienced the pain of buring to death working a job for two cents a day so that someone in the Midwest can get an American Flag t-shirt for $3.99! Their sacrifice will never be forgotten…just swept under the rug. BTW, another thing great about captialism is that we don’t owe you all any survior benefits.”

    • muselet

      I’ll chip in for the plane ticket.

      –alopecia

  • http://profiles.google.com/jadopine Jim Oliver

    Things don’t change unless they are forcibly changed.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/world/asia/15bangladesh.html?_r=0

  • http://twitter.com/chezpazienza Chez Pazienza

    On the plus side, he’s black so — you know — conservatives aren’t racist.

    Apart from the fact that the 6 Walmart heirs control more money/wealth than the bottom 42% of the populace, and this is in itself dead wrong, they have no conscience collectively.

    This incident……can you imagine what it was like for the victims?

    Why do we tolerate business practices such as these when practiced in the name of an American company?

    Makes me utterly sick.

  • TS_1

    But Benghazi – Benghazi – Benghazi – and don’t forget Benghazi

  • JWheels

    This is Bangladesh’s equivalent of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in New York City in 1911. I hope at the very least it has the same effect for factory safety in developing countries, though unfortunately I doubt it will. Wal-Mart and other retailers’ focus on slashing cost at the expense of everything else is actually now directly responsible (if it already wasn’t before) for the deaths of a large number of people. It is absolute insanity to try to deny their policies had a great deal to do with what happened to these poor souls.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I’d love to see Payne work in one of these sweatshops under those conditions and for that pay and then tell us how grateful the people of Bangladesh should be.

    The fucker wouldn’t last a day. Hell, Hannity would probably last longer being waterboarded, if THAT fucker finally kept his promise to do that for charity.

    • muselet

      A day in a sweatshop? Charles Payne wouldn’t last ten minutes doing any form of honest labor.

      –alopecia

  • BeansHarpoon

    You know what else is good for capitalism Mr.Payne? SLAVERY!

  • muselet

    I’m amazed Charles Payne bothered to mention the dead Bangladeshis at all. He seems more interested in money than in mere humans.

    –alopecia