“Worthless”

I love the smell of a circular firing squad in the morning.

via TPM

Boyd Marcus, a Republican consultant and senior adviser to GOP Senate candidate George Allen, criticized former presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s “worthless” organization in the state of Virginia for failing to boost Allen in the final days of the campaign, the Washington Examiner reports.

“It was a lot of activity going on,” Marcus said at a panel discussion in Arlington. “Most of it was pretty worthless.”

The consensus seems to be that Mitt Romney didn’t really have much of an on-the-ground campaign operation and instead relied on the intuitions of Karl Rove and the persuasive power of blanketed attack ads.

With that said, I don’t think it should come as a shock that George “Macaca” Allen lost to the previous chairman of the DNC in a state which most polls showed leaning in President Obama’s favor.

I don’t believe the Republican campaign operation four years from now will be any more reliable than the campaign we just witnessed, because at this point in time the two parties attract fundamentally different people to their sides who think and operate in completely different ways and for different reasons.

There have been reports that campaign consultants essentially fleeced the Romney campaign by presenting them with intentionally-misleading poll numbers as a form of job security. Democratic campaign operatives would never do that because they are motivated by selflessness, not selfishness.

The Democratic campaign message is “we’re all in this together,” while the Republican campaign message is “I got mine, screw the rest of you.” And with a message like that, you shouldn’t be surprised if the people who choose to work for your campaign exemplify it.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • drsquid

    “There have been reports that campaign consultants essentially fleeced the Romney campaign by presenting them with intentionally-misleading poll numbers as a form of job security. ”

    I guess we can take Mark Penn off the side of that milk carton now.

    “Democratic campaign operatives would never do that because they are motivated by selflessness, not selfishness.”

    For counterexample, see above.

    • JMAshby

      Touche. Although I was speaking in current terms, not counting failed primary bids from four years ago. And Mark Penn is a disgrace.

  • BuffaloBuckeye

    Well, romney’s campaign had been all about mitt, so this isn’t surprising.

    “Democratic campaign operatives would never do that because they are motivated by selflessness, not selfishness.”

    Not always true, Ashby.

  • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

    You pointed out the fundamental problem but the GOP has become such a self fulfilling prophecy machine that government doesn’t work that they don’t know how to do things governments do well like organize grassroots efforts.

  • Lazarus Durden

    I disagree slightly Ash but I understand where you’re coming from. You’re right about the two campaigns operating completely different. OFA was run by Obama’s people while the Romney campaign’s state to state operations were run by the RNC. Allen should be bitching at the VA GOP not the Romney campaign.

    And while I don’t think Democrats are completely selfless they operate in reality while the Republicans would rather be lied to if it upholds their preconceptions. President Obama strikes me as the kind of boss that wants to hear the truth no matter how bad it is.

    That Vanity Fair piece about how he plays Basketball spoke volumes. If you took it easy on the President in the game you weren’t invited back. Romney didn’t want to deal with reality President Obama insists on it.