A Model for the Nation

If there’s one thing Republicans should have taken away from the 2012 election cycle, it’s that you should be very careful what you describe as a model for the nation. A lesson that Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal clearly didn’t learn.

“I think there is a moral imperative that it’s not right that only wealthy parents get to decide where their kids go to school,” Jindal told an audience at Washington’s Brookings Institution. […]

“To oppose school choice is to oppose equal opportunity for poor and disadvantaged students in America,” he said. “What we are putting in motion in Louisiana can be done across the country.”

At face value, what he says may sound appealing, but describing it as a model for the rest of the nation won’t seem like such a good idea after people learn that the primary benefactors of your policy are religious fundamentalists who believe Jesus rode a dinosaur and that the Loch Ness Monster really did ask Chef’s father for $3.50.

Voters also may not find that idea quite as appealing after they learn that they will be the ones paying for it, as Jindal’s voucher program uses money intended for public schools to send children to alternative schools where they learn that dragons are real and that the KKK really wasn’t so bad.

Of course the fact that the law was recently found unconstitutional may also prove to be a snag in Jindal’s plans to push this on the rest of the nation.

Bobby Jindal clearly has his eyes set on higher office, but Governor Howdy Doody is completely out of his depth. No amount of sweet talk will erase the batshittery he has supported or the fact that he strongly resembles a more soft-spoken version of Rick Santorum.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Education and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • bphoon

    That picture is one I just can’t get out of my mind every time Piyush’s name comes up. That and the one where he was looking steely-eyed out over the Gulf from the prow of his skiff during the BP oil spill. Remember his Big Idea for protecting the Louisiana coast from incoming oil? Yeah, dumping a bunch of sand off the coast to create berms that would then prevent the oil from washing ashore. The sand, after being dumped, quickly washed away due to tidal action. Like, Duh!

    Yeah, Piyush. that didn’t work, either.

  • D_C_Wilson

    The day Louisiana is a model for the nation for anything, especially education, is the day we go the was the Roman Empire.This is also the state that passed the ironically named “academic freedom” bill which was designed to give teachers cover if they tried to sneak some creationism into biology class.

    Jindal’s primary supporters are the flat earthers and the dinosaur riding Jesus crowd. This money-for-religious schools bill was a big sloppy wet kiss for them.

    The funniest thing was when one of the bill’s primary sponsors in the Louisiana state legislature was shocked to learn that making taxpayer funds available for religious schools meant that Muslim schools could apply for that money, too. She honestly thought it would just go to Christian schools.

    • bphoon

      I don’t know…maybe Louisiana’s food could become a model for the nation. Other than that…not so much.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Jindal reminds me more of Alfred E. Newman.

  • muselet

    “To oppose school choice is to oppose equal opportunity for poor and disadvantaged students in America.”

    This might arguably be a valid argument, if and only if those poor and disadvantaged students get vouchers that are sufficient to pay tuition at the same schools as the rich and advantaged. Otherwise, they’re just getting screwed over.

    Drives me insane that no one in the MSM seems to point out that all this school choise/voucher BS is just another con that sends public money to private bank accounts. The voucher amounts are never enough for a low income earner to send their kids to a quality private school. But for wealthy people who already do, it is a tax payer funds for wealthy kids schooling.

    The rich get richer at the public expense (again) and the poor get cut-rate pseudo private schools teaching creationism.