Both Sides Coffee

Starbucks has a message for Washington — both sides need to “come together” to reach a deal to avoid sequestration.

The world’s biggest coffee chain is asking employees at cafes in the Washington, D.C. area to scribble the words “Come Together” on cups for drink orders on Thursday and Friday. CEO Howard Schultz says the words are intended as a message to lawmakers about the damage being caused by the divisive negotiations over the “fiscal cliff.”

It’s the first time employees at Starbucks cafes are being asked to write anything other than customers’ names on cups.

Never mind that Democrats have already taken great risk with their base and displayed a willingness to compromise on things that aren’t popular. Republicans have yet to do that. Instead, Mitch McConnell filibustered his own proposal to pass a clean extension of lower bracket tax cuts.

It strikes me as perverse that employees, who given their income levels will probably face steeper consequences as a result of sequestration than the company leaders who are compelling them to write “come together” on coffee cups, are being forced to do so.

If CEO Howard Schultz actually cared about his employees’ well being, he would have them write “tax the 1%” on their coffee cups, but that would include him.

Adding… roughly an hour after I wrote this post, the House of Representatives adjourned until the 31st. So who’s failing to come together here?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Congress and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Camel54

    I wish Dems would return to the House chamber and make a show of being there waiting to do their jobs, being unable to.

    • nathkatun7

      Carmel54, I am with you 100%! These right wing, do-nothing, Congress quitters need to be exposed!

    Also, if Schultz really cared about “fixing the debt”, he wouldn’t be avoiding the Fiscal Cliff–he would embrace it. The comments on the Starbucks page is awesome. Here’s my favorite:

    vanderleun
    12/26/2012 11:43 AM
    Howard, please do not beclown yourself with this stuff. Just spend your $60+ million per year and quit pretending to be an American who cares. You. Do. Not. And we all know it.

    Thank you. (And thanks to whatever corporate scribe you had gin up this maudlin sheaf of wet sentiment.)

    Howard Schultz had better watch his political stances.

    I have been a drinker of Starbucks coffee for many years,, and I spend what I know is over $100 monthly on the bags of coffee I consume at home…..that doesn’t include the $$ for coffee consumed at cafes/kiosks.

    I wonder how Mr. Schultz would feel were Liberal consumers of Starbucks to switch to, say, Seattle’s Best Coffee?

    You can find locations at which you may purchase SBC here: http://www.seattlesbest.com/

    • muselet

      Starbucks owns Seattle’s Best Coffee.

        Ugh, the coffee cartel is like our media cartel–monopolized.

        Jesus.

  • trgahan

    I guess to Schultz “coming together” meaning keeping his part of the Bush-era tax cuts, not touching captial gains tax rates, and paying for the resulting loss of revenue out of the Social Security and Medicare budgets.

    I can see his point. The resultwould create many more college degreed baristas for him to pay minimum wage to.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Somebody’s got to employ all those philosophy majors.