Cory Booker for Senate

Newark Mayor Cory Booker announced today that he will not be running for Governor of New Jersey. Instead he will run for the U.S. Senate seat currently occupied by Frank Lautenberg.

A senior adviser to Newark Mayor Cory Booker (D) confirmed to TPM Thursday that Booker intends to run for Senate in 2014, even if that means challenging longtime Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) in the primary. [....]

Booker announced his intentions to “explore” a U.S. Senate run in an op-ed published in the Star-Ledger Thursday.

“Let there be no doubt, I will complete my full second term as mayor,” Booker wrote. “As for my political future, I will explore the possibility of running for The United States Senate in 2014.”

I don’t believe the governorship is necessarily a better springboard into a presidential campaign than becoming a senator is. (see: Governor Romney, Senator Obama) Furthermore, a gubernatorial campaign against Chris Christie could have been very, very messy.

We may still see that campaign some day though, because this leaves open the possibility that Christie and Booker may face each other in a presidential campaign at some point in the future.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Elections and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muchrejoicing

    Very few Senators actually become President these days. Many Governors do.

    • http://profiles.google.com/rollotamasi13 Rollo Tamasi

      Very few black dudes become President these days, but we now have a black dude President who was a former Senator.

    Ha! I was right. I knew he was too smart to go against Christie for governor. At least this time around.

    He will make a good senator for NJ.

  • http://twitter.com/hugetinymistake chris

    so a corporate Democrat, eh? joy

  • D_C_Wilson

    Frank Lautenberg is 88. Odds are good he’ll be stepping aside in 2014 when he’ll be 90. Running for an open seat in the Senate is a smarter move than trying to unseat the still popular Gov. Christie.

    I disagree that the Senate is a better launching point for a presidential run than a governorship. The last time a sitting US Senator won the presidential race before 2008 was JFK in 1960. And 2008 was a Senator vs. a Senator contest, so we would have gotten a sitting US Senator as president no matter who won.

    A lot of our recent presidents (Bush II, Clinton, Reagan, Carter) were governors first. Generally, when a sitting US Senator runs against a former governor, the Senator has lost:

    Kerry v. Bush in 2004
    Dole v. Clinton in 1996

    And in 2012, Obama was the incumbent president and no longer a sitting Senator.

    Actually, the worst platform to launch a presidential from is the Vice Presidency: Gore, Mondale, Nixon (1960). Only two sitting or former VPs were elected president in the past 100 years without the current president dying or resigning: Nixon and George H. W. Bush. And Nixon needed two attempts to do it.