Dick Armey: Extortionist Grifter

Dick Armey opened up to ABC News this weekend and dispelled any doubt that he is in fact a grifter who committed extortion following his attempted armed coup of FreedomWorks.

According to Armey, Stephenson stepped in with an offer to pay him $400,000 a year over 20 years because he “was concerned I was going to resign [from FreedomWorks] and sue them before the [presidential] election. He didn’t want an uproar. We all understood if I take any action that made it at all public it would be a press nightmare and we didn’t want that before the election.”

“So Dick was saying, ‘You know, Armey, my family and I have heard your story, about how you can’t afford to retire and we want to help with your retirement,’” Armey, who is 72, also said.

As part of the agreement, Armey said he will serve as a consultant to Stephenson. [...]

“I must say the trespass against me was so comprehensive and so eroding of my critical asset — and my critical asset is my relationship with the press,” Armey told ABC News. “I actually had a court case, a case I could have taken and I did consider doing so, but we decided we wanted to try and handle it quietly outside of the press pursuant to the condition was I could not work with these guys anymore. You can’t take people who you indisputably understand to be dishonest and dangerous to the organization in their dishonesty and continue working with them.”

Threatening to go public before an election. Threatening a court case. Threatening employees with armed thugs. That’s nothing $400,000 a year for 20 years can’t fix.

And then you have his claim that you can’t continue working with people who are “dishonest and dangerous” and yet he will remain with FreedomWorks as a consultant for the foreseeable future.

And if he feels they are such a danger to the organization, why is he “leaving” with them in charge? Because all he really wanted was a pay-day and a golden parachute.

These are your Tea Party values and “thinkers” at work. They’re getting paid top dollar to spin their wheels and generate nothing of real value like the much-maligned Wall Street fat cats of yore. Flushing their shareholders donors’ money down the toilet and then getting paid handsomely to resign.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • rikyrah

    they are all grifters.

    period.

    The Tea Party was never anything but a bunch of astroturfed racist assholes.

    and what the entire Romney campaign was to the GOP – the long con…grifting all the way.

    G-R-I-F-T-E-R-S

  • muselet

    “I can’t stay here (FreedomWorks), I can’t work with people like this, and I can’t afford to leave with empty pockets,” Armey said.

    “… I can’t work with people like this …” That has to be the funniest thing Dick Armey has ever said. (Look in a mirror, sir. That right there is one of those “people like this”.)

    “… I can’t afford to leave with empty pockets.” I don’t know about anyone else, but I can’t quite conjure a mental image of the Armey family, huddled around a small fire, counting their change to see if they can afford to buy a can of baked beans as their only meal of the day.

    Calling Dick Armey a grifter and extortionist is an insult to … Oh, hell, I can’t even complete the joke. Go away, Mr. Armey. Go far, far away.

    Maybe he and Morris can pool their ability to bilk donors and form a partnership: Two Dicks Consulting.

  • mrbrink

    And it was Richard J. Stephenson, the “reclusive Illinois millionaire” who demanded the organization throw $1.7 million at Joe Walsh in a race he had no chance of winning. And it was Dick Armey who demanded they throw their money behind Todd Akin– after the legitimate rape comment.

    They are crazy, crazy people with money– and rearranging the lunatic chairs in the Cuckoo’s nest day room won’t magically lobotomize the crazy away.