Elizabeth Warren Headed to the Banking Committee

Good news — Elizabeth Warren has landed a seat on the Senate Banking Committee, an usually-powerful position for an incoming freshman.

WASHINGTON — Nearly two years after Wall Street waged a successful campaign to keep consumer advocate Elizabeth Warren from running the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the incoming senator will be tapped to serve on the Banking Committee, according to four sources familiar with the situation. It’s a victory for progressives who battled to win her a seat on the panel that oversees the implementation of Dodd-Frank and other banking regulations. [...]

Warren’s ascension to the panel gives her influence over regulators and the industry that non-panel members don’t enjoy.

Because it is so amusing, I feel the need to repeat again that the Republicans created Senator Elizabeth Warren.

They stonewalled her nomination as director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and after she withdrew as a nominee, she went on to challenge and defeat former Senator Scott Brown. Now she’s headed to one of the most powerful committees in congress.

It’s possible Warren will have more power on the Senate Banking Committee than she would have as the director of the CFPB.

Meanwhile, Debbie Wasserman Schultz will stay on as the chairman of the DNC for four more years.

Obama on Monday asked the party to reelect the Florida congresswoman as Democratic National Committee chairwoman — making her selection a mere formality and displaying confidence in the woman who helped him win reelection and the party pick up House and Senate seats.

Now Wasserman Schultz will seek to replicate Democrats’ 2012 winning formula under much tougher circumstances.

Schultz has been far more successful and a much better communicator than Tim Kaine was in my opinion.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Congress and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • bphoon

    Schultz has been far more successful and a much better communicator than Tim Kaine was in my opinion.

    Results tend to speak for themselves…

  • MrDHalen

    We got so many awesome women in our party! I love it!!!

  • ryan carson

    Every time I see Mrs. Schultz on TV, I find it hard to listen to her, but that says more about the content than her personally. Specifically, she has mastered what the Rebublicans used to beat us over the head with: the repetitive, simple talking points that convey the message to the lowest common denominator. Frankly, good for her for having the skill to pull it off without puking every time she does it. I find the whole thing so unenlightening, but I acknowledge it’s a necessary evil.

    Also, the results don’t lie. So, congrats Mrs. Schultz and congrats to the DNC for sticking with what works.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Let’s all evil laugh at the right over this!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P526n6wfP4

    • mrbrink

      ha ha ha!