Happy New Year From House Republicans

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and the Democrats may have reached a deal this afternoon to avoid sequestration (the “fiscal cliff”) but the House of Boehner has no plans to vote on it tonight.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House will miss the midnight Monday deadline lawmakers set for voting to avoid the “fiscal cliff.”

House Republicans notified lawmakers that the chamber will vote Monday evening on other bills. They say that will be their only votes of the day.

President Barack Obama and Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell said Monday they are near a deal to avoid wide-ranging tax increases and spending cuts — the fiscal cliff — that take effect with the new year.

The House will be in session this evening, but they will be discussing whether or not they should pass a relief funding bill for Hurricane Sandy victims.

Passage of even that is in question.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    He we go!

    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    So, who in the House is taking the Koch Party line and telling the residents of NY and NJ to just “suck it up”?

  • muselet

    Steve Benen argues that it’s not as bad as it looks:

    [T]he Washington Post reported 12 hours ago that the House members “may push to delay a vote until Tuesday,” and with “U.S. financial markets closed for the New Year’s holiday,” it’s likely the effects would be quite limited.

    Besides, while I’m generally not in the habit of defending the Boehner-led House, I’d also point out that the lower chamber has nothing to vote on. … It’s tough to blame House leaders for failing to schedule a vote on a bill that, at this point, doesn’t exist.

    And then there’s that other factor: as of 12:01 a.m., the House gets to work with a new baseline — and you’d be surprised how much that’s likely to matter to House Republicans.

    I’m not sure I agree with him on all of this, but I do agree that a freak-out isn’t necessarily warranted.

    –alopecia

    • Nefercat

      “Besides, while I’m generally not in the habit of defending the Boehner-led House, I’d also point out that the lower chamber has nothing to vote on. … It’s tough to blame House leaders for failing to schedule a vote on a bill that, at this point, doesn’t exist.”

      I am really sincere here. I just don’t understand why there isn’t a bill. Why hasn’t the House come up with one? Were they not allowed to come up with a bill?

      I am getting really bewildered at who is responsible for what. Thank you to anyone willing to spend a moment on explaining what should be so obvious to me.

      • muselet

        Here’s my understanding, and if I get something wrong, anyone, feel free to chime in:

        The ones Charlie Pierce calls the feral children refused to play nice or pay attention to the House leadership, and even voted down John Boehner’s ridiculous Plan B because it wasn’t ridiculous enough. Boehner then said, effectively, “The House can’t do squat, so it’s up to the White House and the Senate to come up with a bill.”

        Mitch McConnell—fearing a primary challenge from the Right, if you can imagine such a thing—refused to so much as stick his head out his office door lest he be accused of apostasy for not advocating for the immediate execution of the olds and the poors (I exaggerate, but not by much). This left Harry Reid and the White House to try to find someone among the Senate Rs who’d take their phone calls. Once negotiations, if that be the right word, got close to a deal, McConnell got involved, if only to complain about how the Democrats were getting too much.

        Where we stand now is a tentative, sorta-kinda agreement that nobody likes between the Senate Majority and Minority Leaders—with the increasingly annoyed consent of the White House—to deal with some of the problems posed by the Fiscal Cliff fiasco (but not all, because the Rs want leverage when it comes time to raise the debt ceiling, oh joy). That’s what has to be turned into legislation for the Senate to vote on and send over to the House.

        And, of course, now the Rs are whingeing that President Obama was mean to them on TV today and are threatening to scuttle the deal because their precious fee-fees are hurt. We’ll have to see how that plays out.

        In all seriousness (yes, really), since what’s being bickered over is essentially a revenue bill, the Constitution says it must originate in the House of Representatives (although that can be fudged), so the responsibility for this whole Charlie Foxtrot falls to Speaker of the House John Boehner, who is very bad at his job.

        I don’t know if this is any help at all. I do know I don’t blame you for being bewildered.

        –alopecia